New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Error - "Another device...is using your computer's IP address."

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

I just installed Snow Leopard (upgraded from Tiger) last Saturday and today I ran into the error below. Anyone have any idea what this means and how I can remedy it? I have no idea what the other device might be.

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

This usually happens when two devices on the same network have been assigned the same IP number. Do you have a router on your network? If so, I suspect that one computer/device has been set up with a pre-assigned ID number that the router is trying to assign to something else.

If you can give us a bit more information about your setup I am sure we can get this resolved.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

I have a cable modem from Brighthouse Networks and a linksys router. Our DirectTV receiver is hardwired to the router. Things in our house that feed off the wifi: nintendo wii, two iPhones, and this Macbook Pro. At the time the error message came up the computer was the only thing feeding off the wifi.

Is that enough info?
QUOTE Thanks
mayflyTR

mayflyTR is on a distinguished road

are both the cable modem and linksys router wireless?
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayflyTR View Post
are both the cable modem and linksys router wireless?
The modem is hardwired to the coax cable coming out of the wall, then an ethernet cable sends the internet signal from the modem to the router. The router then broadcasts the internet signal wirelessly to the Wii, Macbook Pro, and iPhones.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Are any of the devices set to have static addresses (manually set) or does everything get its IP address automatically from the router (dynamic)?

Also, is this a problem that just started? If so, has any new gear been added or settings changed recently?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Are any of the devices set to have static addresses (manually set) or does everything get its IP address automatically from the router (dynamic)?

Also, is this a problem that just started? If so, has any new gear been added or settings changed recently?
I have never adjusted an IP address in my life, so I'm assuming everything gets its IP address from the router.

It's only happened once (when I made the original post), and everything has worked fine since then. Maybe it was just a one time thing. I'll update y'all if it happens again.
QUOTE Thanks
ericweiner

ericweiner is on a distinguished road

I am seeing this issue here at work as well. Only, I am using static IP's. It looks like the machine is seeing itself as another host on the network with the same IP. I have tried renaming the machine under system preferences -->network but under the WINS tab, another name is in use. I try to match this name and it changes itself.

Any help on this would be appreciated. I have many Macs here on the network that are not showing this issue.

~Eric
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

For the OP (AUZambo), is the network secure and only your devices have access? If not, an outsider may be utilizing your network without your knowledge.

ericweiner, it sounds like that machine is set to act as a wireless router by itself. Make sure it's not.

QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
For the OP (AUZambo), is the network secure and only your devices have access? If not, an outsider may be utilizing your network without your knowledge.

ericweiner, it sounds like that machine is set to act as a wireless router by itself. Make sure it's not.
Mine is secured. Only devices in my house should access the wifi, unless a neighbor has stolen my password.

The error still hasn't resurfaced, so I'm not too worried about it right now.
QUOTE Thanks
ericweiner

ericweiner is on a distinguished road

I'm still seeing this here on my network. It doesn't happen with any of the Leopard machines, only Snow Leopard so it has something to do with the dns resonder changes that were made in the Snow Leopard upgrade. Wireless is not enabled on these machines. (One is a Mac Pro and one is an iMac) I've tried:
-Clearing DNS cache
-Changing hostname
-Restarting the dns responder
-Setting the ethernet to DHCP
-Using a static IP address and hard coding the DNS servers
-Manually creating the DNS (A) record and reverse lookup record (ptr)

I'm all out of ideas....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HD drive no longer on desktop. | Any one recommend a barcode system for mac »