New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Late 2008 Pro freezes, cursor disappears, forefox crashes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wahnamhong

wahnamhong is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2008 2.5 ghz MBP MB134LL

Hi there,

I have a 2.5 ghz macbook pro late 2008 model, so the latest version before the unibody. Ever since I installed Snow Leopard (or so I think), my macbook freezes constantly, in the most extreme case perhaps 10 times a day.

What does it do? So I'm browsing through Firefox, when all of a sudden my cursor disappears, or my cursor just freezes. The computer still seems to be working, since the internet radio is still playing. However, I cannot do anything anymore. Since there is no cursor, I cannot type or navigate. It's also impossible to change to another program or try and force stop the application. Keyboard shortcuts no longer work. The only thing left to do is power off the macbook and start over.

This also happens in Word and some other programs. Sometimes there's an extra bug when it seems the macbook just repeats the latest command, for example typing a letter just ends up in a constant repetition of this letter (aaaaaaaa..).

Often I'm only using Firefox, Finder and perhaps Word so there's no overload (I have 4 gb internal memory installed).

Someone recognizes this problem and perhaps have a solution? Otherwise I'm inclined to send my macbook back but then I will be parting with it for more than a week...

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I have the same model MBP as you and I've bee running SL since it came out last yr. The problem isn't with SL.
What you should do first is run Verify Permissions and, if necessary, Repair Permissions in Disk Utility. Finder>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility
Also Verify Disk and, if necessary, Repair Disk in Disk Utility. See if that doesn't help with your issues. Please report back afterwards.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
wahnamhong

wahnamhong is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2008 2.5 ghz MBP MB134LL

Thank you for your reply. I did just as you ordered and found irregularities in the permissions, and fixed them. Repair disk was not necessary.

However, after rebooting my MBP I still had some problems. My MBP just freezed again.

I only had Firefox running 9 tabs among which mixcloud streaming music. No other program was active before the freeze.

Any other solutions I might try? it's getting a bit frustrating.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I run 2 OS on 1 HD? OSX10.4 & OSX10.5 | Changed permissions from everyone to none! (Macbook not booting) »