New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help! Macbook Not Seeing All Files on PC-Formatted Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yamean

yamean is on a distinguished road

Hello,

My apologies is this question was answered before, as I couldn't find the answer doing a search.

When I connect my PC-formatted hard drive to my Macbook, it connects fine, the icon shows up on the desktop, and I can access it and all of the files in it THAT ARE SHOWING UP perfectly fine.

The strange thing is, that only a fraction of the files are showing up that are actually on it. I have over 100GB of .jpg files organized into various folders on it, and when I plug the drive into my PC, all of them are viewable and accessible. But when I plug the drive into my Macbook, it only shows a fraction (1GB only) of the total files on it. When I "Get Info" to look at how much of the drive is being used, my Macbook reports that only 1G is being used and that the rest of the drive is free space, while on my PC all of the files and 100GB of usage is all there.

What gives? I would say that 99% of the files on the drive are of the same type (.jpg), and they are organized into standard folders. Some folder show, some folders don't. And even within the folders, some files show, some files don't, even though they are the same format. Why is it doing this?

My goal is to copy a lot of my pictures onto my Macbook so I can do a photo project in there, but I can't find them when I plug into it. Please help!!!
QUOTE Thanks
neil.kay

neil.kay is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53 Ghz 15' MBPro, 32G iPhone3GS, 64Gb iPad 3G

Hey,

Install NTFS-3G. NTFS for Mac at Tuxera

Eject and re-plug your NTFS formatted hard drive.

You should be able to read/write onto it, and you should be able to see all the files.

Eschew obfuscation.
QUOTE Thanks
yamean

thanks Neil! i'll give it a try and let you know how it works out
QUOTE Thanks
yamean

Thanks again, it worked great! I can now see all of the files on the drive.

Just for my educational purposes, do you or anyone else know exactly why it chose to see some files and folders, and not others, especially when they were in the exact same format taken by the exact same camera?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Phone Calls Mutes Computer Speaker via Bluetooth | Does 10.6.4 have graphics problems? »