New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

10.4 error installing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gatorgrip

gatorgrip is on a distinguished road

I am trying to install OS 10.4 from a dvd. The computer is a 1.5ghz PowerBook G4 with 768mb ram.

I have been using this computer for light internet browsing and text editing for about a week.

Last week, when I tried to start it up, a flashing question mark folder appeared.

I booted from the 10.4 dvd so I could attempt to repair the hard drive, but it wasn't even recognizing the hard drive.

I opened up the PowerBook and replaced the hard drive. ( I hooked the malfunctioning drive up to my desktop, which didn't recognize it either).

The replacement hard drive was recognized by the computer so I partitioned it and started the install. At 48% of the second stage, it suddenly stops the install and says that there were "errors installing the software", and to "restart and try to install it again".

I have tried to install it four times now, and it always stops at 48% and tells me about the errors.

Could this be a problem with the laptop? Possibly corrupt files on the install disc? I burned the dvd at lowest possible speed. (I don't consider this pirating since my mother previously purchased the mac OS 10.4 and lost the install discs.) Plus, I cbf'd to try to find one for purchase. The only 10.4 discs I can find online are $100+ and through shady third party resellers.

What options do I have here for getting this computer to run again? I tried Ubuntu, but it ran like 9000 degrees constantly and I'm afraid it will catch fire.

I really would just like to have a clean install of 10.4 on my new hard drive. Any suggestions or help or advice from someone who has gone through a similar problem (or anyone period) would be ridiculously appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading from 10.4.11 (Tiger)? Mac Power PC? | Complete Wipe »