New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

External hard drive not appearing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tadd5181

tadd5181 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X v. 10.6.5

I have an external hard drive. Sometimes its icon shows on my mac screen on the far right but not always. How do I get it back so that it shows there?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Is the external drive connected through a USB cable? Can you see the drive in Finder? Does unplugging and replugging in the cable cause it to show up on the desktop?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
zacharace

zacharace is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
Is the external drive connected through a USB cable? Can you see the drive in Finder? Does unplugging and replugging in the cable cause it to show up on the desktop?

Regards
Does it work on other computers? Are your settings (Finder-->Preferences) such that external drives aren't hidden on the desktop? Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
rocky_cruiser

rocky_cruiser is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2006 MBP 2.33 Ghz; 500 GB HD; Netbook Hackintosh

Hi,

I had the same problem. I finally traced it to where I had the external hard drive power cord plugged in. I switched it to a different surge box and it shows up every time now. Maybe this will work for you.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Can you tell us more about the drive in question and how it is connected. There are two things that occur to me:
1. If the drive is connected to a hub make sure that it is a self-powered hub (plugs into an electrical outlet). Some hard drives seem to not like being connected to only the USB bus.
2. Is this one of the drives that is USB and connects to two USB ports. Several members have complained about similar behavior with that setup. It appears that the drive draws more power than the ports can provide.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
tadd5181

tadd5181 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X v. 10.6.5

The hard drive was plugged to a hub. I unplugged and replugged the hub and the hard drive icon showed up. thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You're welcome. Glad you got that sorted out. The problem might return at some point if that hub is not "self-powered". That is one of the things that sold me on self-powered hubs. The hassle of the extra power cord is worth avoiding a recurring problem.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Login Screen have don't show first login | NFS export »