New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS X doesn't detect speakers through HDMI?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ckelly06

ckelly06 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 MacBook Pro, Intel i5 2.53 GHz, 15" Hi-res antiglare screen, 500 GB HD.

Hi all,

I just set up my new HP 2709m monitor, which has integrated speakers, using an HDMI connection. For some reason, OS X (Snow Leopard) doesn't detect the speakers through HDMI, even though HP's (very limited) documentation says it should. When I use the separate audio connection, OS X will play sound through the speakers, though it incorrectly identifies them as "headphones." The installation CD as well as all the drivers / software on HP's site are for Windows only

Has anyone had this problem before? Any idea how I can get my computer to play sound through my monitor's speakers using HDMI?

HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

Chris
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What Mac do you have and what adapter/cable(s) are your using.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ckelly06

Mac Specs: 2010 MacBook Pro, Intel i5 2.53 GHz, 15" Hi-res antiglare screen, 500 GB HD.

2010 MacBook Pro, HDMI with Mini DisplayPort adapter (got it on Amazon here: Amazon.com: Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Female Adapter Cable for Apple Macbook, Macbook Pro, iMac, Macbook Air, Mac Mini Laptop: CE Compass: Electronics).

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Please provide the CPU speed in your MBP.

QUOTE Thanks
ckelly06

2.53 GHz Intel Core i5. I also have the high resolution anti-glare screen, if that makes a difference somehow
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I believe I read somewhere that most MD-to-HDMI adapters don't carry audio.

This thread may clear up the problem for you.
QUOTE Thanks
ckelly06

Hrm, thanks chas_m. Reading the specs for my particular adapter, I see that it supposedly does support audio, though the user reviews on Amazon seem split, with some saying it works for audio and others saying it doesn't... Makes me suspect the issue is that OS X just can't detect the speakers through HDMI.

I guess it's not the end of the world, the sound works with the audio jack.

Amazon.com: Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Female Adapter Cable for Apple Macbook, Macbook Pro, iMac, Macbook Air, Mac Mini Laptop: CE Compass: Electronics
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Apologise ckelly, just wanted to make sure you did have the current model that does actually support audio out before giving advice.

Have you gone into System Preferences - Sound - Output and selected the TV as the output? I don't have one of the new models, but from what I've read, it does not auto output the audio via the mdp like it does the headphone jack.

If you have done that, then I'd suggest a faulty adapter. The reviews at Amazon from those that have the current model Mac, all indicate the audio is working. All of the reviews saying it doesn't were made prior to these models being released, and those Macs do not support audio thru mdp.

(If you'll click on Profile at the top of the page, then Edit Your Details - scroll to the bottom and put in your Mac specs, it'll help everyone provide proper info for your Mac.

QUOTE Thanks
ckelly06

I really appreciate the help, Bob, and I have added my specs to my profile. I've gone into Sound > Output, but the only device in the list is "Internal Speakers," so it's just not detecting my monitor's speakers, so maybe the adapter's defective. I have to imagine there's a possibility that there's a compatibility issue between my HP monitor and Mac.

Oh well, it's not the end of the world, especially since the monitor speakers kind of suck and I have a work around in the audio jack. Just one more thing to plug in.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Personalizing my Mac | Mobile Me & iCal not syncing »