New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Extremely important 'Backup' help required please


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
shahid
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Hi folks

New Mac user here, just a couple of quick simple question for you experts.

I'd like to be able to create an image or restore CD of some kind that would enable me to copy/install it to a new HDD.

This would ultimately help to save time & effort of installing all the programs which i currently have installed & enjoy using on my existing OS X Tiger partition on my 30gb HDD.

I am thinking of upgrading the 30gb HDD in my ibook to possibly 60gb, hence my reasons for wanting to create some kind of cloned image on CD, which i could then use to install my already configured operating system on this 30gb HDD i'm currently using & transfer onto the new 60gb HDD.

Therefore i have two questions please:

1. Is this even possible? using either a CD or even an external HDD?

2. If it is possible, how & where should i begin? which software should i use?

Hope what i've written has made sense, if anyone has done this before i'd be interested in hearing about your experience & the process :doctor:

Thanks

Shahid
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

 
MacsWork's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 22, 2005
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 2,150
MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

MacsWork is offline
Once you get you first machine set to go you can use /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. This will allow you to image HD to HD using the restore button. Then you're off to the races. This is of course assuming you have the correct licensing.
QUOTE Thanks
shahid
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsWork
Once you get you first machine set to go you can use /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility. This will allow you to image HD to HD using the restore button. Then you're off to the races. This is of course assuming you have the correct licensing.
Excellent, thank you.
I'm assuming i shoud connect my new 60gb drive via USB to my iBook, then follow the above instructions?

My iBook came with the Tiger disks, does that mean i have the correct licensing?

Shahid
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-simus

 
MAC-simus's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 08, 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 442
MAC-simus has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2GHz C2D macbook

MAC-simus is offline
you can also use CarbonCopyCloner. its free. can mirror your HDD and make it bootable. it can also automate and sync backups.
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

 
MacsWork's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 22, 2005
Location: Closer than you think.
Posts: 2,150
MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

MacsWork is offline
No,...licensing is,...

1 mac cd = 1 install.

And on another note,...Carbon Copy Cloner is not Tiger compatible,...yet.
QUOTE Thanks
shahid
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsWork
No,...licensing is,...

1 mac cd = 1 install.

And on another note,...Carbon Copy Cloner is not Tiger compatible,...yet.
Technically, I'll only really be transferring the image to a new HDD, so therefore i wouldn't reallly be using the CD for a second install.

(in fact i haven't used the CD at all as Tiger was already installed)

Additionally, my 30gb (older HDD) the one which would create the image would be formatted and used for backing up or transferring data.

If anyone out there can clarify whether this would be a breach of licensing please do.

Shame about CarbonCopyCloner not currently being compatible with Mac OS X Tiger at the moment, as it sounds like something i could have tried.

Shahid
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsWork
No,...licensing is,...

1 mac cd = 1 install.

And on another note,...Carbon Copy Cloner is not Tiger compatible,...yet.
Yeah but it works fine, I use it all the time on Tiger. You just need to start it from a terminal as sudo. Don't forget to get Info (in the Finder) on your target disk and UNCHECK "Ignore ownership on this volume",
http://forums.bombich.com/viewtopic.php?t=5264
QUOTE Thanks
Badger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahid
Technically, I'll only really be transferring the image to a new HDD, so therefore i wouldn't reallly be using the CD for a second install.

(in fact i haven't used the CD at all as Tiger was already installed)

Additionally, my 30gb (older HDD) the one which would create the image would be formatted and used for backing up or transferring data.

If anyone out there can clarify whether this would be a breach of licensing please do.
This is a legitimate use and does not violate copyright restrictions or software licensing. In fact it would be legitimate to keep the original system (on the older HD) as a backup. The only issue would be if you installed the system on a second computer.
QUOTE Thanks
shahid
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
This is a legitimate use and does not violate copyright restrictions or software licensing. In fact it would be legitimate to keep the original system (on the older HD) as a backup. The only issue would be if you installed the system on a second computer.

Thank you for posting.
I only have one Mac machine which is my ibook, so from what you say, doesn't sound like i need to worry here.

I'll take a look into CarbonCopyCloner, now that i've heard it may work using the option the gentleman mentioned in a previous reply above.

Thanks for help & clarification to you both.

As a recent Mac switcher, coming from windows & linux, it's essential for me to have the correct facts before purchasing expensive hardware i.e 60gb HDD's.
Rather than discover later that something may not work.

After i buy the new 60gb HDD, i'll keep you all posted with how it goes. When i clone the image for transference onto new HDD.

(wish me luck) :doctor:

Shahid
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Desktop Wallpaper File | Lost 2nd hard drive? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Scheduled Backup With Dejavu - Cannot backup mogwai OS X - Development and Darwin 1 09-28-2005 11:36 PM
Backup Software RGertner OS X - Apps and Games 0 05-18-2005 08:27 AM
Entourage Backup scottatron OS X - Apps and Games 0 02-23-2005 11:43 PM
cannot backup shares macdolt OS X - Operating System 6 12-20-2004 04:51 PM
Important Lawsuit *chuckle* jerodhusvar Schweb's Lounge 1 12-18-2003 11:44 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?