Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2010
    Posts
    2
    Missing Installer Utility?
    I just upgraded to the new iPhone4, and I'm trying to install iTunes 9.2 on my iBook G4 (groan, I know, I know). Running OS version 10.4.11.

    When I downloaded the .dmg file and went to open it, I received an error message asking me to choose an application to open the file with. This has been happening with other programs I try to download for almost six months and I've always chocked it up to the age of my computer.

    After reading this thread, I have been thinking maybe my system just isn't recognizing the .mpkg file. I downloaded the RCDefaultApp as recommended and went through the steps outlined to get to the PrefPane, but when I went to take this step, "Then set the Installer (in Applications/Utilities) as the default application," I could find no "Installer" in the Utilities folder.

    Is this normal? If not, how can I get the Installer Utility back? Are there other recommendations for the issue I'm having installing iTunes 9.2? I'm unable to properly setup my iPhone4 until I get this version of iTunes running, so any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    hughvane's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2008
    Location
    Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,296
    Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Welcome to Mac-Forums, we hope you do indeed find the experience "bloodymahvelous" .

    Use Cmd-F (Finder) to look for Installer, it may have been moved to an obscure location.

    If it really has 'disappeared', then you have the option of reinstalling it from the original Tiger install disk, using Pacifist Pacifist - Usage.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

    I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2010
    Posts
    2
    I did a search for the Installer, but all of the folders that were found named 'Installer' were empty.

    I no longer have the Tiger disk, so I was unable to re-intstall the Installer that way. I tried opening the iTunes 9.2 file with Pacifist, and had the files unpackaged. When I went to open the iTunes file, I received an error message that the files were corrupted.

    I appreciate the feedback--any other suggestions? Or corrections if I went about something the wrong way?

  4. #4

    hughvane's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2008
    Location
    Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,296
    Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    As I understand it - because I've never had to use it - Pacifist will only work with the OS disk inserted should you want an OS feature, eg. Installer, to load.

    The G4 iBook was issued originally with OS 10.3, so do you have those (black) disks? Do you have any OS disks?

    Essentially, as Installer is part of the MacOS you're seriously obstructed in terms of what you can do without OS disks. There is of course the option of taking your iBook to an Apple service centre to have the OS restored (Archive & Install).
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

    I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    May 24, 2010
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    As I understand it - because I've never had to use it - Pacifist will only work with the OS disk inserted should you want an OS feature, eg. Installer, to load.

    The G4 iBook was issued originally with OS 10.3, so do you have those (black) disks? Do you have any OS disks?

    Essentially, as Installer is part of the MacOS you're seriously obstructed in terms of what you can do without OS disks. There is of course the option of taking your iBook to an Apple service centre to have the OS restored (Archive & Install).
    Download the Mac OS X 10.4 CD from a Torrent Site.

    This is not illegal Because all your doing is getting is the install Disc which you already bought and installed. In short terms "You bought it, You Own a License, Your entitled to make/download The Program/OS again".

    And Like he Said. Use Pacifist and Get the Installer App. Or if you cannot Find it. Do an Archive and Install of Mac OS X Tiger

  6. #6

    hughvane's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2008
    Location
    Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,296
    Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Discussing the use of torrents to download MacOS is against forum rules, never mind the legalities (as they apply in Japan). All you do by mentioning it is to get this thread closed, which is no help at all to the person seeking advice in Post #1.

    [Mods - please edit, but do not close this thread. The OP probably needs further assistance. Thanks .... Hugh]
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

    I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    May 24, 2010
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    Discussing the use of torrents to download MacOS is against forum rules, never mind the legalities (as they apply in Japan). All you do by mentioning it is to get this thread closed, which is no help at all to the person seeking advice in Post #1.

    [Mods - please edit, but do not close this thread. The OP probably needs further assistance. Thanks .... Hugh]
    The Thing is. Its Legal, He Already Owns it. In the Apple Legal Terms he is aloud to get Another Copy BY LAW. This Includes Torrenting

  8. #8

    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomina-Kun ^_^ View Post
    Download the Mac OS X 10.4 CD from a Torrent Site.

    This is not illegal Because all your doing is getting is the install Disc which you already bought and installed. In short terms "You bought it, You Own a License, Your entitled to make/download The Program/OS again".

    And Like he Said. Use Pacifist and Get the Installer App. Or if you cannot Find it. Do an Archive and Install of Mac OS X Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomina-Kun ^_^ View Post
    The Thing is. Its Legal, He Already Owns it. In the Apple Legal Terms he is aloud to get Another Copy BY LAW. This Includes Torrenting
    Unfortunately, US Law does not agree with you on that. Torrents are not an authorized, legal distribution channel for Mac OS X.

    He is allowed another copy, which is not by law but rather the terms of his license agreement, which is his own personal backup media that he created from his original disks. Not a torrent site.

    As such, recommending someone torrent Mac OS X is technically against the forum rules, and I suggest you go about finding a new solution to recommend.

    My suggestion, the poster should call Apple and request new OS disks for his Mac.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New HD not showing up in Installer's Disk Utility?
    By raayymarr in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 03:33 AM
  2. Boot camp utility missing
    By CthulhuCobbler in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2012, 11:28 PM
  3. Disk Utility with Installer Disc vs Disc Utility via Booted OS
    By MacMarc in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 06:37 PM
  4. Airport Utility 5 Windows Installer
    By mrwhit3 in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-29-2007, 05:36 PM
  5. Disk Utility from TIGER INSTALLER, want to make Image....?? help
    By NavyElk in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •