Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    iPhoto Unable to Export to External Drive
    babylon5's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 27, 2009
    Posts
    51
    iPhoto Unable to Export to External Drive
    Hello all.

    Good afternoon. I am trying to export my iPhoto pictures to an external hard drive. However when I perform this function, it is giving me this error message:

    Unable to create volume/passport/...

    The external hard drive has over 200+ GB of remaining disk space; and the number of pictures being exported is 170 with an average size of 4MB per picture.

    Any suggestions of what is happening will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.


    Babylon5

  2. #2
    iPhoto Unable to Export to External Drive
    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,637
    How is that drive formatted? If it is NTFS, OS X cannot write to it without the help of 3rd party drivers.

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

  3. #3
    iPhoto Unable to Export to External Drive
    babylon5's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 27, 2009
    Posts
    51
    @ lifeisabeach: The drive's format is MS-DOS (FAT32). Also the export stopped after 12 files were successfully saved to the external hard drive.

  4. #4
    iPhoto Unable to Export to External Drive
    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,637
    Quote Originally Posted by babylon5 View Post
    @ lifeisabeach: The drive's format is MS-DOS (FAT32). Also the export stopped after 12 files were successfully saved to the external hard drive.
    Hmmmm. Well the drive could be failing. It also could be any number of potential problems with the file system (FAT32). The first thing I'd do is verify the disk. You can do this wth Disk Utility or download Onyx and use that. For more extensive drive testing and volume repairing, Disk Warrior is one of the best.

    If the drive checks out, consider reformatting the drive. Are you using FAT32 for compatibility with a Windows PC? If not, and it's only for a Mac, then by all means reformat it using HFS+.

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

  5. #5
    iPhoto Unable to Export to External Drive
    babylon5's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 27, 2009
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    Hmmmm. Well the drive could be failing. It also could be any number of potential problems with the file system (FAT32). The first thing I'd do is verify the disk. You can do this wth Disk Utility or download Onyx and use that. For more extensive drive testing and volume repairing, Disk Warrior is one of the best.

    If the drive checks out, consider reformatting the drive. Are you using FAT32 for compatibility with a Windows PC? If not, and it's only for a Mac, then by all means reformat it using HFS+.
    I tried using the iPhoto export function and save the photos to a folder in the Macintosh HD; and the same thing happened where the export process stopped after certain number of files are saved.

    Now I am dumbfounded.

  6. #6
    iPhoto Unable to Export to External Drive
    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,637
    Quote Originally Posted by babylon5 View Post
    I tried using the iPhoto export function and save the photos to a folder in the Macintosh HD; and the same thing happened where the export process stopped after certain number of files are saved.

    Now I am dumbfounded.
    With the FAT32 drive, the discussion linked below mentions that there is a limit to how many files can reside in the root directory. That may be your problem. Also, especially as for the Mac HD, is it possible some of the photos have the same name? See this discussion for more info:
    Apple - Support - Discussions - Unable to create volume - error message ...

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

  7. #7
    iPhoto Unable to Export to External Drive
    babylon5's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 27, 2009
    Posts
    51
    @lifeisabeach - Found the issue; and it has something to do with the actual file not existing even though the thumbnail indicates that the file does exist. This is the reason why this message was appearing. Thank you so much for your help.

  8. #8
    iPhoto Unable to Export to External Drive
    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,637
    Quote Originally Posted by babylon5 View Post
    @lifeisabeach - Found the issue; and it has something to do with the actual file not existing even though the thumbnail indicates that the file does exist. This is the reason why this message was appearing. Thank you so much for your help.
    Thanks for the update. That info most certainly will come in handy here one day, I'm sure.

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. unable to eject external drive
    By ChipSD in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 05:09 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 06:02 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 07:52 AM
  4. Unable to mount external drive.
    By llessurb in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 06:45 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2007, 02:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •