New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

64 bit O/S...Is this still the future?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

badmojo

With all the Intel talk going around, I wonder what you all think about OSX or OS-whatever remaining a 64 bit OS? Candidly, I'm not sure what the exact benefits of a 64 bit OS are, but I'm curious as to whether this is still the future. Will Apple stay with the 64 bit theme?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I think they will remain 64bit, since intel does make 64bit proccesors.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

I hope Apple won't stray too far from thier path. They have a good thing going.
QUOTE Thanks
iLEFTOVERCRACK

iLEFTOVERCRACK is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb

Wait,is there going to be a new os like os "y" when all the intel's come out?

QUOTE Thanks
j5ive

im pretty sure they will be sticking with 64bit since Tiger just rolled out and its 64bit technology right? correct me if im wrong =)
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by j5ive
Tiger just rolled out and its 64bit technology
OS X had 64bit support before Tiger.

AMD had a 64bit processor, now Intel does, Microsoft released a 64bit version of windows, it just seems to be the way things are going.
QUOTE Thanks
j5ive

ok ok .. yea i knew 64bit tech was around in the Apple world for alot longer.. I also have a laptop with AMD 64 chip .. I loaded a copy of the new windows 64bit pro. It sucks right now cause of lack of drivers... =/
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLEFTOVERCRACK
Wait,is there going to be a new os like os "y" when all the intel's come out?
Guess that would be something like OS XI (OS 11), as OS X means, and is read, as OS "10", not OS "X" (like the letter X).
My roman numbering might be a bit rusty, but I can't recall Y being a roman number... :cool:

64bit is the future, in general for all platforms. It is the next logical step forward.
Though if we take game consoles as example, the next big step might be a very different one...
The Sega Dreamcast had a 128bit (!!) CPU, while the newer and definitely more performant Xbox has only a 32bit CPU (Intel PIII).

So maybe someday, we might get back to 8bit?! Who knows... :p
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

lol I rather go on to 64 bit then go back to 8, lol but if performance is better (no way that it would be) bring on the 8bit!

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
badmojo

I do think 'Leopard' will be designed to better interface with Intel. It's going to be an interesting release, in that Jobs wants to steal Microsoft's thunder since Longhorn will be released around the same time. You can bet that Apple will have a slew of advertising during that time attcking MS' newest OS.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Automator - wow! | Cant access Mac Help »