New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

after headphones no audio and red light?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thorsonb

thorsonb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Sold it

Ok
For some reason I plugged my friends cheap headphone into my Macbook… to listen to some music on a train….

And now after I pulled out the headphones, a red light is lighting up n the headphone plug…

With that light on, I cannot play any sound on my macbook (without the headphones)

Is their a keystroke combination I need to use or something I tried turning the volume ot the Mac, restart, shutdown and start up again… pulled out the battery and all!
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Reinsert the headphone jack into the audio port a couple of times to free it up. That should do the trick.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
thorsonb

thorsonb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Sold it

Didnt work

i still got this problem! lol i didnt really look much into it, i just whipped out another laptop with audio

But now i want to use my Macbook

What am i to do!
QUOTE Thanks
mp04

mp04 is an unknown at this point

There is a old trick, but USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, Its always recommended to take it to the Apple Store or to an Apple Authorized Service Provider... I take no responsibility for you doing this, but heres go anyway...

Take a match stick gently stick it in and push gently to the back to hit the re-set switch. you may need to get flash light just so you know where the little pin looking switch is, buts IT IS in there... all the way in the back, once you hit it, it should turn that light off, and the audio should start coming out your speakers again, once you start playing something.

This seems to be a common problem with MB, and MBPs and have done this lots of times, and again, cant stress enough, be careful, doit at your own risk, and if you feel uncomfortable, take it to a pro please.

Let me know how it works out.

Mitul "Mike" Patel
Apple Hardware and Software Certified
Apple Authorized Service Provider
Apple iOS developer
QUOTE Thanks
Mountian Lion

Mountian Lion is on a distinguished road

Put headphones back in and play some sound through them. Stop the sound and open System Prefs. Go to output and play more sound then unplug headphones. It should switch back to normal and play sound and turn off the red light.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro monitor intermittent failure | Mountain Lion Wallpaper Folder Issue »