New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrade to 10.5.8 = problems!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TreacherousV

TreacherousV is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody..

I have an intel-based iMac i've been using for about 4 years now if not 5. I've been running Tiger for bloody ages and haven't upgraded because I had Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1.1 (and alot of expensive extras) and didn't want to have to shell out for version 8. A flawed decision i know.

Last friday I was offered some freelance work which required me to install a recent version of Final Cut Pro and therefore required me to upgrade to Leopard (in a rush without fully preparing) and so now I'm running 10.5.8.

Obviously PT no longer works. Which I'm ok with (have come to terms with) cos I have Logic Pro 7 and I'm pretty sure that still runs with Leopard (don't have the usb key at this exact time so I haven't been able to test it but according to the site it should work?! )

There are several other issues i've come across tho (so far..) mainly GarageBand (3.0.5) runs really slow/crashes as soon as i try to import audio. Is this cos I'm still on iLife '06 (don't laugh). Also my screen keeps glitching. Weird turquoise watermarks where other windows have been and massively magnified sections (which disappear after a few seconds). Basically things ain't right.

Can anyone suggest any solutions for me to try? I've done a software update but no luck.. Should i just buy a copy of iLife '09? Things are a bit tight at the mo so I'd rather not but if it's the only option then.. i guess i will have to! PLEASE help! Many thanks people..
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

How much RAM do you have? What is the processor speed?
QUOTE Thanks
TreacherousV

2 GHz intel core duo processor and 1.5 gb ram..
QUOTE Thanks
TreacherousV

Any ideas guys?
QUOTE Thanks
Patronus

Patronus is on a distinguished road

Have you tried a permissions repair?

Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. Open it.
Choose your hard drive hardware on the left (not Macintosh HD, but just above that).
Click 'Repair Disk Permissions' and let it run.
QUOTE Thanks
TreacherousV

Yep tried it. No change.. Cheers anyway tho.. Any other ideas?!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousV View Post
2 GHz intel core duo processor and 1.5 gb ram..
That should be good enough for Leopard. I suspect that some of your older software is not. My GarageBand, which I don't use, is version 4.1.1 for instance. Have you tried Software Update? It will tell you what Apple software you're eligible to update.

There's always the possibility that your monitor problems have nothing to do with the OS upgrade.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Upgrading can be a little flaky and clean install will work better. Did you download the OS X.5.8 combo updater direct from the Apple web site, or use Software Update. If you went the latter, try the combo download and see if that helps:-

Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Different Users - Password Login Question | Disk Utility can't fix the following... »