New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help! Freezing OS =\

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RobDreugan

I just got my dual G5 yesterday. I put another gig of crucial ram inside the machine, and I'm upt to 1500 megs of ram. Besides that, I've added nothing but an external usb zip drive.

After lots of calls to mac tech support here's what we've done.

Did a first aid thing. And it corrected a directory structure problem, but that still didn't prevent lock ups.

We unplugged everything short of the keyboard, mouse and moniter to try and trouble shoot it.

Did a hardware test, with both the extra ram I added and w/o it, and all hardware tested fine.

however, now I'm trying one of the last things, which is I've created a new user account, and I can't get it to lock up yet. In fact one of the programs locked up before the os would, and the os still hasn't so maybe this was the answer.

I'm still a big Mac newbie, so I want to learn as much as I can, but this for the moment fixed the problem.

I'm curious if anyone has experience this before.

the system specs are on my name, and the OS is 10.2.8; if there were any questions about that.

Thanks, for any help in advance.

Rob
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

when you boot up hold

command and s

when the screen is done loading type

fsck -y

and hit enter that could help
QUOTE Thanks
RobDreugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
when you boot up hold

command and s

when the screen is done loading type

fsck -y

and hit enter that could help
I've done a thing where i held command and maybe apple with the keys P and R. I'm not 100% what that means, other than perhaps purge ram or something.

What does what yer telling me do? I just like to learn about what it is I'm doing rather than following blindly.

(Since I've created the new user account which I'm using its not locked up in about 2 hours. This is very interesting )
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

its a file system check utility that macworld magazine recommends you do either once a month or once a week

it checks for and repairs damage within the file systems

its actually you type /sbin/fsck -y

if it finds errors run it again to make sure its all clear and when you are done just type reboot and it will restart your computer
QUOTE Thanks
RobDreugan

I really don't understand how creating a new user account fixed my problem, but I haven't crashed since last night. I wish I could have a more concrete explanation as to why this is working now but hell at least its working in tip top shape.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Your problem appear to be with the other account. Maybe something you loaded last, or changes made it , or even items deleted.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

it could have been that an install for a program went bad
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bye Bye OS 9 | ???????????????????????? »