New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can I remove Java to make way for latest update?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

The reason that I ask, is that with the latest update, it leaves an array of disk permission errors that don't get removed when repairing permissions.
I have just restored my system to the state I had it before I updated Java, and I am hoping to start from scratch, avoiding the long list of permission errors every time I repair disk permissions!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Good to see you back.

What kind of permission errors are you seeing as left over after running disk permissions? If they're by chance the ACL found but not expected errors that pop up, you can eliminate them by running the free "ACLr8" utility. Solved the problem for me.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Are those errors on this list? I'd take a look to see if they are ones you can ignore.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Thanks for the welcome back

Unfortunately they're not the ACL ones, but thanks for the reminder about ACLr8 as I was trying to remember the name of that app.
As always they are safe to ignore and I'm sure they're on that list, and if not , that they will be soon.
I just don't like having a huge list to scroll through when repairing permissions suddenly after installing the Java update.

It went from this before the Java update....

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired

to this after the update

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r--
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar"
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib"
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired
Finished verify/repair permissions on disk0s2 Macintosh HD

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Hmm, the errors seem to be specific to the Cocoa plugin. Are you using Leopard or Snow Leopard? I ask because the problem seems to occur more with Leopard from my search. If you're using SL, is it update 2 that is causing you the problems?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Hmm, the errors seem to be specific to the Cocoa plugin. Are you using Leopard or Snow Leopard? I ask because the problem seems to occur more with Leopard from my search. If you're using SL, is it update 2 that is causing you the problems?
I'm running Snow Leopard with Java update 2.

While I was on Leopard, by the time I got to 10.5.8, I had these warnings and many many more, and it was refreshing to have a clean slate when I went to Snow Leopard. I was really hoping that Apple with Snow Leopard would be on top of this, and once I got the SUID Warning early on in the piece, I new that it wasn't if, but when the list will start to grow with these, and the soon to be ACL found but not expected messages.
Safe to ignore isn't the issue for me. I just like to be able to see without having to scan through multiple warnings and cross reference to find out if there is something that isn't safe to ignore.
QUOTE Thanks
Dewdman42

Dewdman42 is on a distinguished road

I am having these messages now as well, ever since running the Java VM updater directly from Sun.

Looking at it a little deeper I see that the two java cocoa bundle files in question are actually sym links. If I try to chmod the sym links, the change doesn't stick. I'm guessing the updater somehow moved the files to a new location and put sym links here for some kind of backwards compatability. Just a guess, I don't really know that. But the permissions on the new location are not correct perhaps. But Disk Utility isn't chmodding them in the new location, its trying to chmod the sym links ( unsuccessfully ).

So two questions, anyone know if the previous version of JavaVM had these sym links? Secondly, is it ok to chmod the underlying files they point to? Thirdly, anyone know how to revert back to the old JavaVM without reinstalling OSX entirely?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IBook OS Help | Can I do this? »