Angry persistent volume icon!!
    Hi everyone,

Just a quick query which I'm sure somebody could sort for me without any problem.

I'm running Snow Leopard on my 2006 Macbook, and I can't for the life of me get my USB External HD to accept a new folder icon. The problem is that I previously had a nice device icon (so that it looked funky on my desktop), but I decided I wanted to change it for a new one now. So I went into 'Get Info', highlighted the icon, pressed delete. So it returns to the default USB Ext HD icon (the orange coloured device). I then copy the new icon from the Get Info menu of the icon folder, go back to the USB Ext HD 'Get Info', highlight the icon, select Paste (or Cmd-V) and .... it reverts to the OLD icon - the one I had just deleted!

I have tried this numerous times each time with the same result. I have tried deleting the icon, ejecting the disk, remounting - again the same thing. I have even gone into terminal and "rm"-ed the .DS_Store and .VolumeIcon.icns. Again - no joy with this either!

Can someone please suggest how I might be able to get rid of this haunting old icon once and for all and replace it with my new one??!

Thanks in advance.

Waiting for a mate . . .
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Hi and welcome .... Its annoying when you cant revert it that way but try download CandyBar and change it that way. Log out then back in and all should be good for you.

Have you logged out then in again since you changed it to see if it has changed ?? If not Candybar will do the job

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Take the .icns file you want as the icon, rename it to .Volume.icns and move it to the root of the drive or folder you want to change.

For example, open and use:

sudo mv /path/to/icon/CoolIconFile.icns /path/to/desired/directory/.Volume.icns

Thread Information