New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Error code -8003?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tewatson

tewatson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac C2D 2.66, MBP i5 2.4, MB C2D 2.4, iPad2 32GB 3G

Recently added a MacBook Pro to the family, so wanted to set up my current external HDD (WD My Book Studio, which has been flawless) as a TM disk for the new machine, and also continue using it for the iMac. The disk was full, and there is no file management UI in Time Machine, so using Finder I simply deleted a range of backups from the disk to make room for the MBP backups.

That was an exercise in patience, as it took the better part of an hour for the OS to process the request and subsequently delete the files from the trash can.

Anyway, they were gone until today. Started up the iMac, then completed my work and tried to log off. The desktop toolbars/icons go away, but the background freezes and the external HDD churns for ~1-2 minutes. After it's done, the logoff completes.

Now, however, the previously deleted files/folders from the TM disk are back in the trash can and cannot be deleted. "Error code -8003" which I cannot find a reference to anywhere, other than to discern that 80xx errors are reporting through Finder. WTF?

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
Now, however, the previously deleted files/folders from the TM disk are back in the trash can and cannot be deleted. "Error code -8003" which I cannot find a reference to anywhere, other than to discern that 80xx errors are reporting through Finder. WTF?
Solving Trash Problems

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
tewatson

Ah...very good. Thanks.

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
tewatson

Well, turns out the persistent deleted TM files were on the external HDD. Noticed that when the drive was ejected, the trash showed empty. Re-mount it, the trash reappeared. Tried several methods in the "Solving trash problems" link...nothing worked. Did a verify/repair disk on the drive...nothing. Then, went to log off for the night and got the same 2 minute freeze/delay that happened earlier, while the external drive churned away. After it finished, logged back on to see what had changed - the trash is empty!

Now there's an identical problem with one of the program files I downloaded to help with the issue. FileXaminer can't be deleted...error code -8003.

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
Well, turns out the persistent deleted TM files were on the external HDD. Noticed that when the drive was ejected, the trash showed empty. Re-mount it, the trash reappeared. Tried several methods in the "Solving trash problems" link...nothing worked. Did a verify/repair disk on the drive...nothing. Then, went to log off for the night and got the same 2 minute freeze/delay that happened earlier, while the external drive churned away. After it finished, logged back on to see what had changed - the trash is empty!

Now there's an identical problem with one of the program files I downloaded to help with the issue. FileXaminer can't be deleted...error code -8003.

Tom
Hmmm. You might want to try running a hardware test on your Mac using the factory install disc. Also check out that hard drive… I'm wondering if it's starting to fail on you.
Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test
Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

Also, how is that external drive formatted? You aren't using FAT32 by chance?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
tewatson

No...it's Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Ran extended hardware test; no issues.

Tom
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to lock mac keyboard | Strange Preview Image opening at startup »