New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Application open after closing window?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thebrok2

thebrok2 is on a distinguished road

I have not been on a Mac since the Oregon trail days. I have sort of a random question.

When I close a window of an application such as Safari or a terminal it doesn't really close the application. What I mean by that is that if I alt tab or in mac world command tab i still see the application open. I then have to go to the top and click quit. What is the reason behind this? Does this continue to use up resources such as CPU and Ram?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Yes you're correct, it just closes the window. To quit either select quit from the menu, or press Apple-Q on the keyboard to quit the app.

It's a different way of working to Windows, but the reason is that you can clear the desktop of clutter if necessary, and keep the app in RAM for a quick launch later. It doesn't really take any noticable CPU cycles because once the window is closed, it should not be doing anything significant, but it may take RAM.

OS X is far better optimised for memory use than WinXP or Vista and still a bit better than Win7, so the system will give front running apps priority. If you have 4GBs of RAM or more, you'll barely notice unless you're doing something very RAM intensive.

Incidentally, Windows itself may quit the app when you close the last window, but hold the app in RAM for some time for a quick launch, whereas in OS X when you quit, it really has quit. That's why you get apps like freemem on Windows.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
thebrok2

thebrok2 is on a distinguished road

Great Reply, Thank you so much for your input. I just need to get a little more savy with the keyboard shortcuts and I will never look back. Thanks again for the great reply!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

You're welcome.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
JWJones

JWJones is on a distinguished road

This is one of the primary differences between the Mac OS and Windows or Linux. The Mac OS is "document-centric," whereas Windows and Linux are "application-centric."

To me, this is one of the primary advantages of the Mac OS. I don't use Windows, but I do also use Linux (Arch Linux w/KDE 4).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Applications crashing when connected wirelessly | shared computer »