Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Operating System (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/)
-   -   Applications crashing when connected wirelessly (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/201063-applications-crashing-when-connected-wirelessly.html)

nicksita 05-05-2010 12:10 PM

Applications crashing when connected wirelessly

I've got a macbook w/2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running OS X 10.6.3 and am having a problem that's flumoxing everyone, including my IT guy here at the office.

Everything runs fine when I'm connected to my office network either via ethernet or airport. The problem seems to come in when I disconnect the laptop and take it out into the field.

When I connect to a wireless network other than my office network, applications such as MS Word, Acrobat Pro, PhotoShop, Entourage and others are locking up and returning "Application Not Responding" errors.

Once again, this problem ONLY comes up when I'm away from my office, connected via airport to a wireless network. I've noticed the same problem occurs if I'm not connected to any network as well.

Any advice????

chscag 05-05-2010 01:59 PM

It appears the applications you're referring to - Office, Acrobat, Photoshop, etc. have been installed to your Office server and that's where their main files are kept. You access them OK when using your Office network but when not on the network, you can't. That's normal. (Airport or ethernet has nothing to do with the problem.)

Unless you have a full separate independent install of all those applications on your MacBook and the settings for them are on the MacBook, that problem will occur.

The best way to set that up is to maintain two different log in identities on the MacBook. One for when you're in the office and on their network, the other when you're out in the field. That means the apps will have to be installed again using the "away from the office" log in.

Regards.

nicksita 05-05-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1047910)
It appears the applications you're referring to - Office, Acrobat, Photoshop, etc. have been installed to your Office server and that's where their main files are kept. You access them OK when using your Office network but when not on the network, you can't. That's normal. (Airport or ethernet has nothing to do with the problem.)

Unless you have a full separate independent install of all those applications on your MacBook and the settings for them are on the MacBook, that problem will occur.

The best way to set that up is to maintain two different log in identities on the MacBook. One for when you're in the office and on their network, the other when you're out in the field. That means the apps will have to be installed again using the "away from the office" log in.

Regards.

Thanks, but that is not the problem. The install of these applications was all done by me, locally on my machine.