New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Dashboard fonts screwed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skippers

skippers is on a distinguished road

The fonts in my dashboard translator are all screwed up like this:

porqué no podrÃ*a usted pedir que él diga

Any idea what the problem could be? cheers!!
QUOTE Thanks
Corbab

Corbab will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4

I'm assuming from my basic knowledge of español that the symbols are in place of accented letters (or special characters) that cannot be displayed for one reason or another. It's most likely something broken in the database that Systran (the translation program underneath) is using. It's happened before, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it happened again.

There's also a slim (slim slim slim) chance that it could be the result of changing the language settings or deleting language packs, but if you haven't been mucking around in there (and I recommend you don't), that shouldn't be a problem.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Give it a little while, try taking it out of the Dashboard and putting it back in, or switching the language a few times (probably won't help, but it's worth a shot).

Good luck!

Just a stupid kid with a computer, so take my advice with a grain of salt if that makes a difference to you.
QUOTE Thanks
skippers

skippers is on a distinguished road

I did screw around with the FontCollections and Fonts folders a while ago when I was transferring fonts from another machine!

Can you download updates for dashboard?
QUOTE Thanks
Corbab

Corbab will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4

I don't think so...

Did you change fonts, or language packs? If all you did was add fonts or delete them, you should be in the clear on your end. I think it takes some doing to delete those, so unless you went hunting for them or downloaded an application to get rid of them, they should all be there. I'd write it off as an error on the database's end.

There are some other translation applications out there. I've used TranslateIt with a fair amount of success. It's a little hard to get used to, but it's got some great features (and best of all, I think there's a freeware version).

Just a stupid kid with a computer, so take my advice with a grain of salt if that makes a difference to you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Virus??? No Installs, Mail and other Apps open then close | Tab Bar Disappearing in Safari »