New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

New to MAC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marcopolo

marcopolo is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I've recently purchased an Imac though come from a Windows background (20+ years) but a little stuck with this one.

My query relates to saving images from Ebay.

As some of you probably know you can click on an 'enlarge' link which opens images into their own frame, but the problem is I cannot 'save as' the image.

On the PC I could simply right click and save as but I can find no way of performing this function on my imac.

I've enabled the right click, tried dragging to desktop, email, word, etc but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Is SaveAs greyed out?

Please use a descriptive title next time. You can mention that you're a "noob" in your post.
QUOTE Thanks
marcopolo

Should have known better about the title, I run a forum myself.

I don't even get 'save as' on right mouse button, these are the options I receive.

Reload
Open in Dashboard
View source
Save page as
Print page
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Images on items that are for sale on eBay usually can not be downloaded as they are the property of the seller. Ebay restricts those type of images from being downloaded. The restriction is the same when trying to save them from a Mac or a PC.

What type of images are you trying to download or "save as"?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

An example would be helpful also.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
marcopolo

Let's not get onto the legalities of saving the images here, that was not the question.

Here's an example

1981 DIAMOND BACK SILVER STREAK OLD SCHOOL SKOOL BMX on eBay (end time 09-May-10 20:12:21 BST)

If you click on the enlarge button below the main image, the images open into a selectable frame, it's these large images I could right mouse on my PC and save, but no on my mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Here's an example

1981 DIAMOND BACK SILVER STREAK OLD SCHOOL SKOOL BMX on eBay (end time 09-May-10 20:12:21 BST)

If you click on the enlarge button below the main image, the images open into a selectable frame, it's these large images I could right mouse on my PC and save, but no on my mac.
I can't do it "directly" either in Safari or in Firefox. In Firefox, I was able to use an add-on called "DownThemAll" to grab the embedded pictures. I'm sure there's one for Safari that can do the same. I'll look into that and post back.

EDIT: Here's a nifty way to do this in Safari, although it will take some extra work on your part. Press CMD-OPT-A and you will get a list of all elements open in Safari. Find your picture, double-click it, then Save from the menu.

That aside, it looks like any download manager can probably do a similar job as DownThemAll for Firefox. There are several… Folx in particular is free.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
marcopolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I can't do it "directly" either in Safari or in Firefox. In Firefox, I was able to use an add-on called "DownThemAll" to grab the embedded pictures. I'm sure there's one for Safari that can do the same. I'll look into that and post back.

EDIT: Here's a nifty way to do this in Safari, although it will take some extra work on your part. Press CMD-OPT-A and you will get a list of all elements open in Safari. Find your picture, double-click it, then Save from the menu.

That aside, it looks like any download manager can probably do a similar job as DownThemAll for Firefox. There are several… Folx in particular is free.
Cheers for that, ok excuse my lack of mac knowledge here but which is the OPT and would you recommend Firefox over Safari?

Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Cheers for that, ok excuse my lack of mac knowledge here but which is the OPT and would you recommend Firefox over Safari?

Thanks again
OPT is short for "Option"... the key has that labeled on it (should be next to the Command key).

As for Safari vs. Firefox, it's purely personal preference. I like Safari, my wife likes Firefox. Safari is a bit faster last I read and feels more "Mac-like". Firefox has the advantage of having a large number of add-ons to extend its usability, but being written as a cross-platform app, it isn't written with the Mac in mind. There is a Mac-native version of Mozilla called Camino, but I've never taken a liking to it. There are more detailed comparisons that have been made... you could google for them to bone up some more.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.06 c2d, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD

This is not "saving the image", but how about "print-->save as PDF" after enlarging the image. It works for me.

Larry
QUOTE Thanks
marcopolo

Thanks chaps, the pdf seems to be the easiest option I've found so far.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sharing files between Parallels and OSX | Imac issues, and I want my data »