New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Start up problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chalky

Chalky is on a distinguished road

When starting my Imac I get the white screen with the apple logo then the blue screen where the start up seems to freeze, often going no further. I often have to switch the power off then on again and it seems to start then.

Any ideas what is up?
QUOTE Thanks
rohan.xlr8

rohan.xlr8 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Black Macbook (2.2 Ghz @ 2GB RAM) 500GB

I used to have a similar problem - but mine would never start up - it would always get up to the blue screen and stop

I called apple and the only thing they could tell me to do was format my computer.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
I often have to switch the power off then on again and it seems to start then.
That's not good for it. How old? ...still under warranty?

Better to leave it on until you are able to successfully troubleshoot the problem and eliminate it.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

No idea right now what the problem is but I would suggest you repair the permissions on your disk with Disk Utility. To do this, go to Disk Utiliity (/Applications/Utilities), click on your HD > First Aid > Repair Disk Permissions. This would be a first good step in fixing your problem.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Chalky

Thanks for response so far. I've repaired the permissions but the problem still there. A format is looking increasingly likely.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

How about downloading the appropriate combo updater and installing that - worth a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
Chalky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
How about downloading the appropriate combo updater and installing that - worth a shot.

I'm not too experienced with Macs only been using them less than a year, what is the appropriate combo updater? Using 10.6.3, installed Snow Leopard when I bought the Mac new.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Here you are.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

A little more info: The combo updater will not update to 10.6.4 as it has not been released yet. But, sometimes applying the current updater (10.6.3) even though it isn't new to you will help fix something in the OS.
QUOTE Thanks
Chalky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Here you are.
keep getting error message, cannot find the article....
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Are you talking about not finding the page I linked to? I just checked it and it loaded fine.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Chalky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Are you talking about not finding the page I linked to? I just checked it and it loaded fine.
opened the link in new tab, went to download and get the following...

Quote:
We're sorry.

We can't find the article you're looking for.

Please return to the Apple Support homepage.
tried a couple of ways and still get the same when try to download.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Tried the Link in vansmith post and it was usable for me. What Network service are you on and did you set it up? Have you been able to surf the web?
Quote:
starting my Imac I get the white screen with the apple logo then the blue screen where the start up seems to freeze
Has it always been like this or has it just started?
QUOTE Thanks
Chalky

Downloaded it now, was trying with Safari and wouldn't download, tried Firefox and straight down.

The problem has only recently in the last week or so started, can't understand why?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

What have you installed recently? It's possible that a piece of software is causing you problems.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook constantly stops Responding after clean install+Bootcamp | Sharing files between Parallels and OSX »