New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Connection Failed (Samba). How to remove this?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

photokingh

photokingh is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Everytime I start up my macbook pro, it will display a message.
Connection Failed. (Samba)

It might be that I tried to enter months ago some connection to my QNAP NAS.
But this QNAP NAS is connected via AFP and even timemachine is working fine.
I think I do not need this SAMBA connection anyway.

How to get rid of this connection issue, or how to remove something that my MacBook will not check this connection everytime I boot?

Thanks.

(Search many articles on internet, but did not find anything helpful yet.)
QUOTE Thanks
photokingh

Hi Forum,

I have a QNAP NAS, that is working fine. My MacPro can reach it without problems, with AFP. In finder I see the NAS appear as: NASBD3B16(AFP).
No issues here.

The issue is:
Always when I boot up I get the following message box:

I think that in the beginning when I was trying to get connections setup to the NAS, I tried something to get it connected. At the time I might also tried something related to connecting to a Windows PC in my network. But I do not recall what and my network or terminal skills are noob like.
So it seems now my MacPro is checking this SAMBA connection everytime I boot?

I checked in accounst and removed anything that does something with starting up. But it did not help in removing this error message.

After searching crazy I am at a point to do a full new install of OS X to get rid of this, but I really hope I can avoid that effort with your help.

Anyone an idea how to solve this or where I need to look?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg connection failed.jpg (15.4 KB, 17 views)
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm unfamiliar with that NAS but I would check its settings to see if it is trying to share files through some other means. Samba shares files through the SMB protocol which is used primarily as a means of sharing files with Windows machines. Check to see if the NAS is set to share files with Windows machines or any other setting that appears to be Windows specific.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
photokingh

Thank you for your reply!

The NAS is sharing via AFP(Apple File Protocol), which is working fine. Nothing wrong with the NAS and the Mac finding this Nas, thats all working fine.

My problem is that the Mac, only at boot-up, is looking for the same NAS but than via Samba and can not find it, and provides the error. I want the Mac to not search for this server via Samba.

Where can I make sure the Mac is not searching for this via Samba anymore at boot?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Issues with iWeb - iWeb not loading | Can't install SL - missing files? »