New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Fresh OS install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

weemax

weemax is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 9400

Hi guys. I would like to do a clean install of the OS.

I have a gray disc here that came with my imac. It says it is a max OS X Install DVD. I ran it today & it took around 1hour. When it had finished, I stll had items installed that I wanted removed.

Can i format the HDD & install a clean OS from that disc i have?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It sounds like you did not do a clean install. Boot the machine from your install DVD. After it boots, instead of allowing the installation to proceed, click on the top menu item "Utilities". Then, select "Disk Utility". Highlight the drive (lower entry) and erase the drive. Format it as one partition using HFS extended journaled.

Now you can proceed to install OS X and applications.

Is there any particular reason you wish to do a clean install? It's very rare when this procedure has to be done. This isn't Windows.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
weemax

Hi, thank for the quick reply. My friend installed a naughty program that I dont trust. I want to totally wipe the disk & do a fresh install.

I have done as you have said above BUT the only option I have when I select the drive is "erase free space". "Security Options & "erase disc@ have been grayed out & I cannot select them?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemax View Post

I have a gray disc here that came with my imac.
Just to be sure...did you buy this iMac new & is this gray disk the disk that came with it?

Because if you purchased this iMac used...this gray disk that came with it may not be the original gray disk that was supposed to come with it. Which might explain why the gray disk isn't working. These gray disks are model specific, and thus only work on the model Mac they originally shipped with.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
weemax

Hi Nick.

I purchased the imac refurbished from Apple.

Is there nothing I can do?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemax View Post
Hi Nick.

I purchased the imac refurbished from Apple.

Is there nothing I can do?
Ok...thanks for confirming that this is the actual disk that was supposed to come with this computer model.

I guess I'm a little confused as to what your goal is with this OS install. In your original post you said:

"I ran it today & it took around 1hour. When it had finished, I stll had items installed that I wanted removed."

I'm assuming what you are referring to by "I still had items installed that I wanted removed."...is this "naughty" program or programs you said your friend installed.

If this is the case...you should be able to do exactly as "chscag" mentioned above:

- boot from your iMac's DVD disc (hold down the "c" key when booting)
- open "Disk Utility" from the menu at the top of the screen (you have to move your mouse pointer up there to activate the menu...since it may not be visible otherwise)
- reformat the hard drive
- then continue with the OS install

This should take care of the unwanted program or programs...and reinstall your OS.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
weemax

Hi Nick, thanks for your help.

Holding down the C key done the trick when booting from the OS disk.

All nice & clean again.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Very much appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Nice...congratulations!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS 10.2 On G3 Powerbook "Wallstreet" issues | Reviewing Download Progress »