Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Macbook Tiger 10.4 Upgrades?

    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2010
    Location
    South Wales, UK
    Posts
    48
    Specs:
    Macbook 2.0GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo - 1GB RAM - 10.6 SL & Powermac G4 - 1.8GHz Sonnet Dual Processor
    Exclamation Macbook Tiger 10.4 Upgrades?
    Hey folks, sorry for such a demanding first post, but will be a full time member of the place from now on.

    Just inherited a Macbook OS X 10.4 notebook from my late sister
    Lovely piece of equipment, but have limited knowledge with Macs, as have primarily grown up on Windows.

    Definately making the transistion over to Macs, but unfortunately I don't have the faintest about the operating systems etc.

    It's currently running version: 10.4.11
    Processor: 2GHz Intel Core Duo
    Memory: 1 GB 667MHz SDRAM
    HDD: 74.53 GB

    I need to reset admin password with Mac install discs, as can't obviously tell me, is there any OS upgrades I can do to upgrade it to get the most of this beautiful machine, and at the same time remove admin root password in one?

    It's this machine I believe:
    Apple MacBook Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz MA700B/A - Laptops Direct

    Aout 2 years old.

    Many thanks,
    Alex

    Cheers folks.

  2. #2
    Macbook Tiger 10.4 Upgrades?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,502
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoToneAlex View Post
    Hey folks, sorry for such a demanding first post, but will be a full time member of the place from now on.

    Just inherited a Macbook OS X 10.4 notebook from my late sister
    Lovely piece of equipment, but have limited knowledge with Macs, as have primarily grown up on Windows.

    Definately making the transistion over to Macs, but unfortunately I don't have the faintest about the operating systems etc.

    It's currently running version: 10.4.11
    Processor: 2GHz Intel Core Duo
    Memory: 1 GB 667MHz SDRAM
    HDD: 74.53 GB

    I need to reset admin password with Mac install discs, as can't obviously tell me, is there any OS upgrades I can do to upgrade it to get the most of this beautiful machine, and at the same time remove admin root password in one?

    It's this machine I believe:
    Apple MacBook Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz MA700B/A - Laptops Direct

    Aout 2 years old.

    Many thanks,
    Alex

    Cheers folks.
    Welcome to Mac-Forums Alex!

    Yes the OS on your 2.0ghz MacBook can definitely be upgraded. The latest version of the Mac OS is 10.6.3 called "Snow Leopard". Since you currently have OS 10.4.11 installed...the product you're looking for is the "Mac Box Set" which includes OS 10.6, iWork, and iLife...for $169 US.

    I'm assuming you are located somewhere outside of the the U.S....since you said "Cheers"! Ha Ha. So your pricing for the Mac Box Set may be different.

    I hope that this helps...by the way GREAT 1st post.! You provided all of the important info to help in answering your questions!!!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3
    Macbook Tiger 10.4 Upgrades?

    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2010
    Location
    South Wales, UK
    Posts
    48
    Specs:
    Macbook 2.0GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo - 1GB RAM - 10.6 SL & Powermac G4 - 1.8GHz Sonnet Dual Processor
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Welcome to Mac-Forums Alex!

    Yes the OS on your 2.0ghz MacBook can definitely be upgraded. The latest version of the Mac OS is 10.6.3 called "Snow Leopard". Since you currently have OS 10.4.11 installed...the product you're looking for is the "Mac Box Set" which includes OS 10.6, iWork, and iLife...for $169 US.

    I'm assuming you are located somewhere outside of the the U.S....since you said "Cheers"! Ha Ha. So your pricing for the Mac Box Set may be different.

    I hope that this helps...by the way GREAT 1st post.! You provided all of the important info to help in answering your questions!!!

    - Nick
    Hey Nick,

    Glad to hear I didn't sound too stupid

    Yes, I unfortunately live in South Wales, UK!

    Excellent, thankyou very much for the info, I will get right on it!
    Is it a direct upgrade to 10.6? Or do I need to go up through the OS's?

    Cheers,
    Alex

  4. #4
    Macbook Tiger 10.4 Upgrades?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,502
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoToneAlex View Post
    Hey Nick,

    Glad to hear I didn't sound too stupid

    Yes, I unfortunately live in South Wales, UK!

    Excellent, thankyou very much for the info, I will get right on it!
    Is it a direct upgrade to 10.6? Or do I need to go up through the OS's?

    Cheers,
    Alex
    Direct upgrade.

    That's a nice little laptop you have there. I used to have one like it, and it did fine with 1 gig of ram (internet, e-mail, You-Tube videos). It will get warm sometimes depending on what you're doing...but that's pretty much normal.

    But if you ever felt like it...upgrading to 2 gig probably wouldn't hurt. I have 2 gig in my current MacBook Pro...and everything is great!

    By the way...what's wrong with being from South Wales, UK? Not like I would know being from the US.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5
    Macbook Tiger 10.4 Upgrades?

    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2010
    Location
    South Wales, UK
    Posts
    48
    Specs:
    Macbook 2.0GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo - 1GB RAM - 10.6 SL & Powermac G4 - 1.8GHz Sonnet Dual Processor
    Not much wrong with it, just a tad boring really, never much going on here whilst in the US, it's all going down!

    Excellent, i'm definately going down the route of 2 X 1 GB Ram, how many slots does it have/max memory allowed?

    I really do appreciate all the help Nick,
    Cheers
    Alex

  6. #6
    Macbook Tiger 10.4 Upgrades?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,502
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoToneAlex View Post
    Not much wrong with it, just a tad boring really, never much going on here whilst in the US, it's all going down!

    Excellent, i'm definately going down the route of 2 X 1 GB Ram, how many slots does it have/max memory allowed?
    Ooh believe me...there are lots & lots of places here in the US where it is more than a "Tad" boring!!! There are boring & exciting places in both the US & the UK!

    As far as the MacBook. It has two ram slots. 4 gig is the maximum you can install...but it can only address 3 gig of it (similar to how it is with some older Windows laptops).

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7
    Macbook Tiger 10.4 Upgrades?

    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2010
    Location
    South Wales, UK
    Posts
    48
    Specs:
    Macbook 2.0GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo - 1GB RAM - 10.6 SL & Powermac G4 - 1.8GHz Sonnet Dual Processor
    Cheers!
    So you recommend 1 X 2gb stick of RAM & 1 X 1gb stick of RAM?

    Any other upgrades you recommend?

    The only interesting thing on TV here is the Election Debates, it's good to watch for comedy value!


    Thanks,
    Alex

  8. #8
    Macbook Tiger 10.4 Upgrades?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,502
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoToneAlex View Post
    Cheers!
    So you recommend 1 X 2gb stick of RAM & 1 X 1gb stick of RAM?

    Any other upgrades you recommend?

    The only interesting thing on TV here is the Election Debates, it's good to watch for comedy value!


    Thanks,
    Alex
    I'm not 100% sure...but I guess you could install 1 X 2gb stick of RAM & 1 X 1gb stick of RAM for a total of 3gig ram.

    The reason why I say this is...officially from Apple...the max. ram for your MacBook is only supposed to be 2 gig. But users have found that you can install 2 x 2 gig sticks for a total of 4 gig...but the laptop can only address 3 gig of the 4 gig of ram.

    Maybe what you could do initially is...your MacBook currently has 1 gig of ram (probably 2 x 512meg). You could order one 2gig stick of ram, and replace one of the 512 sticks currently in the laptop. That would give you 2.5 gig of ram. Then you could decide later if you need to upgrade further.

    Give this a read if you want to know more:

    http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...n-details.html

    Hope this helps,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  9. #9
    Macbook Tiger 10.4 Upgrades?
    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,836
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    GREAT 1st post.! You provided all of the important info to help in answering your questions!!!
    Just wanted to echo that comment, and offer my condolences on the passing of your sister, AND welcome you to Mac-Forums.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Macbook upgrades?
    By Mac Mad in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 02:21 PM
  2. 06' Macbook Upgrades??
    By movienut202 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-26-2011, 06:05 PM
  3. Macbook Upgrades
    By tpl_twizzle in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2009, 07:53 PM
  4. Macbook upgrades
    By hockeyguy02 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 06:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •