New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Problems opening pdf, Word, Excel files from email attachments

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

btenthye@gmail.

btenthye@gmail. is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I need some help. For the past weeks my MAC will not open .pdf, Word, Excel files that I received as email attachments. I can save them, and they show the Acrobat Icon, which is my default program to use with pdf. (same for Word and excel files, the icons are there).
I have tried:
- open the files with double click from the desktop
- click the file icon, then specify which program to use to open
- open the application and click "File" and "Open".
- uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat Pro and MS Office
- ran Utility "Repair Permissions" & received the following message: SWD file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/AADAgend.app\Contents/MACOS\AADAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired

I have no idea if this message has anything to do with my problem, or if it indicates another problem.

Does anyone have some advice? I am definitely not a computer tech, and appreciate any help.
Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

You gave us a lot of information there, but you did not indicate the versions of your software, including the OS. That might be helpful. Also, do the Word files have a .doc suffix or .docx? Do the Excel files have an .xls suffix or .xlsx?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

And for that matter, can you open the PDF files with Preview? That would help to determine whether the problem is with the file or with Acrobat.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleting contains of a partiton via terminal | Can't Disable Safe-Sleep Image... »