New Macbook Pro Connection Problems with PC Network
    Hi All,

I'm new to the mac world. I just picked up a new MPB. I'm having difficulties seeing my established windows network. I have a workgroup name setup for the network. I have 3 windows 7 PCs and one XP PC and one windows home server connected to the network with no problem. I had my mac connected originally, but suddenly it won't see the workgroup. I've been racking my brain to think of what I've changed but there is nothing I can come up with. I've checked and re-checked the workgroup name in WINS. I've used command+k to successfully connect to the WHS, but I still can't see the workgroup in Finder. In fact, there is no network category.

Here is possibly the best clue....I have VMware fusion with windows 7 also installed. It cannot see the workgroup as well. I know that I know how to setup windows 7 properly, so for some reason it has something to do with the mac.

I have nothing fancy setup with the firewall that could affect this. Besides, I know I haven't changed anything on the router since my mac originally saw the workgroup.

I'm hoping the mac community can help me out on this one!!!

3 much for my best clue. I've changed the VM to a bridged connection and now my windows 7 vm connects great with my windows machines.

Now, suddenly I can't even use command + k to connect to my windows home server. This is definitely a mac issue. Why can't I see my workgroup!

Aren't macs just supposed to "work"? That's what my "mac" friends always told me... I had better luck networking a ubuntu box...

Thread Information