New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

os X tiger wont boot after combination update 10.4.11

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

glendalf81

glendalf81 is an unknown at this point

hi can anybody help me please, i have a problem with my G4 MDD

i recently tried updating from 10.3.9 panther to 10.4 tiger and have had some issues,

firstly when i tried to just upgrade the operating system i kept getting errors on disc 4 of the installation media it kept saying there where errors please try installing again and i had to keep going back to disc 2,

after about 4 attempts i decided i would go for a fresh install which went without a hitch and installed first time without errors,

after installing i used 'software update' to look for updates,
it found several updates incl iTunes phone driver, DVD player and more importantly combination update 10.4.11

i chose to install all, all installed fine except 10.4.11 which reported that there was a problem and that it may have been tampered with after it had been signed by apple, i then restarted the machine

after the restart i then went back to 'software update' and 10.4.11 was found again but did not report as being tampered with,

i clicked install and the install began, half way through the install i got a big grey box stating "you need to restart your computer, hold down the power button for a few seconds or hit the reset button"

i did this by holding down power button, i then powered back up the mac chimes as normal but will no longer boot,
all i have is a pale blue screen, i have left it for over an hour but nothing happens.

please can anybody tell me where the problem maybe?
also is it possible to be a hardware problem, if so what?

any help greatly appreciated

thanks
glen

p.s. spec is G4 MDD single 1.25Ghz cpu, 1.25gb ram, 10gb IDE HDD for OS,
120gb IDE for storage, HP DVD/RW drive

thanks again
glen
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
firstly when i tried to just upgrade the operating system i kept getting errors on disc 4 of the installation media it kept saying there where errors please try installing again and i had to keep going back to disc 2,
Disc 4?
QUOTE Thanks
glendalf81

well i have 4 discs (cd-r's) and it tells me i need them all,

i am in the uk, maybe the installation media is different in australia
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Where did you get these discs?
Can you post a picture of these discs?
QUOTE Thanks
glendalf81

i got them from a friend of mine they are backups, he has his own IT company

he has used them loads before without problem, i used them to install fresh and they worked the problem is after i try to install 10.4.11
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Ah! There! Thanks for identifying the problem!

The problem is that you are using an illegal, pirated copy of the OS.

The solution is to buy a legal, retail copy of the OS. Of course, having waited so long to upgrade to Tiger, you'll now pay quite dearly for that retail disc as they're getting scarce; and the Leopard discs are even more expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
glendalf81

oh really, he said they would work fine as he has used them before and they are an exact clone of his retail disc, ill see if he still has the genuine ones i can borrow

thanks guys
glen
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendalf81 View Post
oh really, he said they would work fine as he has used them before and they are an exact clone of his retail disc, ill see if he still has the genuine ones i can borrow

thanks guys
glen
That's still illegal!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

using someone's copy of Windows, OSX or any PAY OS is illegal. Windows since XP uses product Activation to help control piracy. OSX DVD that come with a Mac will not install on another Mac unless it has the exact same specs.

But either way, it's against the law to install the same OS license on more than one computer.

You need to get your own legal copy of 10.4 Tiger and it needs to be a full Retail install DVD. There is also a multiple CD copy of 10.4 for older Macs with no DVD drive, but it's hard to find.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Retail, MA453Z/A
Amazon.com: Apple Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger [OLD VERSION]: Software
OS, Mac OS X 10.4.6 Tiger, (DVD) Retail - FastMac
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Retail Version - MRC-0058 - Mac Recycling
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Just goes on and on and on doesn't it?

Who asked if there are more PC pirates than Mac?

Buy your own Tiger or Leopard DVD. Full retail install black coloured disc and all silver grey discs will NOT work as they are extremely model specific.
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

You are receiving a kernel panic. From what piece of hardware ? Best bet is to reinstall tiger then do the updates one by one until you get to the 10.4.11. Restart the computer before you instal 10.4.11 and hold down the apple+option+p+r keys all at the same time. You'll hear two chimes. After the second chime, release the keys. You need to hold those keys down before you get to the gray screen with the apple logo and the spinning gear.

After your computer reboots, go to apple's site and down load the 10.4.11 update and then install it from the dmg.

See if that works. You can also try the pram reset, apple+option+p+r before you reinstall tiger to see if that works, but I doubt it. Have you tried booting into safe mode? Holding down the shift key on start up?

If it boots, try to repair the permissions. Try going to apple's site and downloading the update and installing it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help!!! | just wanted to say sorry »