New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iMac Security

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Speedie

Speedie is on a distinguished road

Greetings all, from that great big continent in the south.

I've just converted to Mac after 40+ years of PC's. It was the potential with iPhotos and iMovies that encouraged the switch.

I have a couple of worries about security. Much opinion seems to suggest Mac's are never attacked by viruses, spyware, malware etc but I find this attitude somewhat suspect in light of the aggressiveness of today's hackers.

What is the experience of long-time Mac users in this regard? Do you recommend a firewall and anti-virus and malware software. If so, what are some good brands to explore.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Do not use antivirus software for as strange as it may seem speedie, coming from the Windows world, there are NO repeat NO Mac OS X viri and if you avoid suspect pirate download sites and the such you will steer clear of malware and trojans also. The only recent report of a trojan was with illegally downloaded copies of iWork.

Do not bother slowing down your iMac with a firewall or vault .

Idf you play to run Windows through Bootcamp or emulation, download Microsoft Security Essentials and run that within the Windows partition.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reclaim space from failed jam pack installation | [HELP] I just formated the the wrong external HD »