New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

just wanted to say sorry

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

abush1984

abush1984 is on a distinguished road

alright thanks for the help you did give me im not sure what OS my ibook will allow me to upgrade to but i am in the process of finding a legal copy of the OS now. like i said im new to the apple community as well as the forums and i should have read all the guidelines before postting anything and thats my fault. and if i offended anybody or defaced this forum i appoligize.

for my next question what would be the the latest OS i could use on a ibook 500mhz 348ish ram computer i don't believe i have a dvd drive either if that helps any and my model year is 2001
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abush1984 View Post
alright thanks for the help you did give me im not sure what OS my ibook will allow me to upgrade to but i am in the process of finding a legal copy of the OS now. like i said im new to the apple community as well as the forums and i should have read all the guidelines before postting anything and thats my fault. and if i offended anybody or defaced this forum i appoligize.

for my next question what would be the the latest OS i could use on a ibook 500mhz 348ish ram computer i don't believe i have a dvd drive either if that helps any and my model year is 2001
10.4 is the newest OSX that machine will run. I would try ebay but be sure you get the black Retail DVD or CD's and not a machine specific version.

Just a note, with 384 megs RAM Tiger will be very slow. I would look into maxing out the RAM. What color is the iBook? A White one with the glowing apple in the top lid?
QUOTE Thanks
abush1984

yeah i figure it would run slow with the ram i had i planed i upgrading that as well and think the most i can put in it is 512 which isn't a whole lot more but its something also the ibook i have is white with the glowing apple icon on the top lid
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

12" iBook G3/500 (Dual USB)

This should help a bit. If you have 128 soldered to the logic board you can go up to 640 Megs.
QUOTE Thanks
abush1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
12" iBook G3/500 (Dual USB)

This should help a bit. If you have 128 soldered to the logic board you can go up to 640 Megs.

how do i know if i have 128 soldered or not
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If your memory is indeed 384ish on that machine then it should have 128 Soldered on the board. The other configuration only had 64 MB soldered on the board so the numbers would be a bit different.

Unless I misread MacTracker the 128 MB versions had either DVD drives or a Combo drive which was a DVD reader and CD-RW burner. If that is the case then you should be good to go as far as DVD versions of 10.4 are concerned. Easiest way to figure out what you have is to pop in a commercial dvd and see if the drive even recognizes it.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I think sly has it dead on, but to be sure, do you have even 10.3? If so Install it and click on the apple in the top left corner. Then on About this Mac then on More Info. It will tell you under memory what RAM is installed in the machine.

Edit: I just did the math, If there is a 64 on the board a 128 would make it 192. 256 would be a total of 320.

If 128 is on the board then 128 would make the total 256 and 256 would be 384. So Sly has to be correct. You have 128 soldered to the main board. You need a 512MB 3.3volt PC100 So-Dimm.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Back in the day when my primary machine was an Apple IIGS I got pretty good at making that 64, 128, 256 calculation to figure out the max amount of memory I could install. Of course in those days you were counting kb and at most 1 MB rather than MB and GB.

QUOTE Thanks
abush1984

ok so i checked somethings out 1st thing is that i must have the 128 soldered because i do have 384mb of ram and the 2nd thing that i figured out is that i don't think that i have a dvd or a dvd combo drive do to the fact that i put a dvd in the drive and it does some thinking and just spits it back out then if i put a cd in it works fine and opens itunes. but im thinking it could also be another side affect of the crap OS i installed we will just call that karma haha. i guess i deserve that, more questions what kind and where could i purchase more ram for this baby to speed it up a bit. well i know i keep saying this but thanks for all the help.
QUOTE Thanks
daphne

daphne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
If your memory is indeed 384ish on that machine then it should have 128 Soldered on the board. The other configuration only had 64 MB soldered on the board so the numbers would be a bit different.

Unless I misread MacTracker the 128 MB versions had either DVD drives or a Combo drive which was a DVD reader and CD-RW burner. If that is the case then you should be good to go as far as DVD versions of 10.4 are concerned. Easiest way to figure out what you have is to pop in a commercial dvd and see if the drive even recognizes it.
The easiest way really did a good job.
QUOTE Thanks
SleeperSS

SleeperSS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5

Quote:
Back in the day when my primary machine was an Apple IIGS I got pretty good at making that 64, 128, 256 calculation to figure out the max amount of memory I could install. Of course in those days you were counting kb and at most 1 MB rather than MB and GB.
The IIGS was my only machine. At $600 for a 10 meg Vulcan hd I couldn't afford it...
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

It was my primary machine for a long time as well. Saved a lot of pennies to get one of those Vulcan drives. In fact, when Macs firs appeared I was a little disappointed that Apple did not seem to be putting much effort into marketing the II line (especially the GS).

The IIGS version of the Finder had a lot to do with me choosing the Mac rather than PC when I realized the II line wasn't going to progress further. There was enough similarity that the transition was easy. Besides it beat the pant off of DeskMate and whatever version of Windows (3.1?) that was current at the time.

QUOTE Thanks
SleeperSS

SleeperSS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5

Quote:
It was my primary machine for a long time as well. Saved a lot of pennies to get one of those Vulcan drives. In fact, when Macs firs appeared I was a little disappointed that Apple did not seem to be putting much effort into marketing the II line (especially the GS).

The IIGS version of the Finder had a lot to do with me choosing the Mac rather than PC when I realized the II line wasn't going to progress further. There was enough similarity that the transition was easy. Besides it beat the pant off of DeskMate and whatever version of Windows (3.1?) that was current at the time.
Unfortunately money was an issue at the time, and I had already spent 3K on the IIgs. I was drawn to the dark side and bought a Windows pc with a huge 100 meg hd. I've had my iMac for 1.5 weeks but haven't had an opportunity to really do much with it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« os X tiger wont boot after combination update 10.4.11 | MacBook Pro 10.6 installation »