New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Trash Can

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nfw

nfw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz, 4GB, 1067MHz DR3

Hi everyboby,
I am a recent convert from the pc stable and have been very pleased with the macbook pro that I now own.
This is probably bread and butter to the more experienced mac user, but I have a file of zero kb stuck in my trash can, it's file kind is alias and the file name is the following series of symbols, ␀␀.␀␀␀ . Any help or suggestions, greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Mysterious file in Trash Can

No idea what that might be. How did you determine that it's an alias? If through Get Info, then I assume it didn't tell you where the original is, correct?

You can probably safely move it out of the Trash and then try to open it. If you do, you might get an error dialog with a hint or two in it.
QUOTE Thanks
nfw

Thanks for the reply.
Have reinstalled op system, file still in trash can. Location on get info is /Volumes/BOOTCAMP/.Trashes/501, but still can't find it. Unable to drag it to the desk top to try and open.
Have also tried deleting the file while using each of the three sd cards that I have used in the past few days.
cheers
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Could it be a file you deleted whilst running windows ?

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
nfw

Cheers,
Don't have windows on my macbook, trying to get away from it. Have also tried to empty trash while holding down various keys, option, command & shift, have also tried secure empty. Alas, to no avail !.
Thanks for all your thoughts so far.

nfw
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Who knows a good Terminal command for cleaning out the Trash??
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Make sure that you have a current backup, the rm command can delete the whole system if the path is incorrectly specified.

You can try this in terminal. (You can copy and paste the commands, I tested them and they work fine)
#1 Type cd ~/.Trash
#3 Type ls and see if you can see the file listed if it is type the next command. If not you will need to repeat #1
#2 Then enter rm -r *
#3 Check if the file is still there.

If the above doesn't work try this command. (If your account is an admin account)
#1 sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash
#2 Check if the file is still there.

If you get a "Are you sure you want to delete *the file*" when you try to delete something afterwards you have to restart the finder.
It can be done via the force quit window, found under the apple menu or you can type this into terminal killall Finder

Edit: Web article on solving trash problems
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/trash.html

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
nfw

Hi,
i've been through the procedures listed in the last post "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash", file is still there.
Think I might have to learn to love it in the longer term as I have limited computer knowledge & skills. I'll keep checking back here or I might take a trip over to the Apple Store in Liverpool.
Many thanks all.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Two things:

1. Apparently at some point this machine DID have Windows on it. That's what "Bootcamp" is all about. It could very well still be present.

2. Did you try holding the option key down while selecting "empty trash"? What happened?
QUOTE Thanks
nfw

Hi there,
I did install windows on this mac when I first bought it in Jan this year but removed it soon after because thats why I switched to a mac (cold turkey). The problem is only a few days old, I have tried holding down the option key (while standing on one leg, chanting as I face east) but the file still remains stubbornly in the trash can.
Thanks chas_m for taking the time to reply .
nfw
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

It appears this can be fixed from the widows side,
Boot Camp users may have files that do not delete from the trash | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
nfw

Nice one McYucon.
As I deleted windows soon after I installed it I did not think it could be that. However I have recently put some mp3 files onto the mac from cd's that where originally written on a pc. Perhaps one of these files could have been corrupt.
This got me thinking that if I do not have or intend to have windows on the mac then I don't need Bootcamp, ejected the Bootcamp disc and voila, troublesome file has gone. ( I assume Bootcamp can be reinstalled if required in the future).
Many thanks to all who took the trouble to help, from a very happy mac owner.
regards nfw.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro 10.6 installation | bad mess with file extension »