New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac to windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rossonero

rossonero is on a distinguished road

I have on a mac running OS 10.2 and more than 5000 graphic files made in photoshop.

Not I have to transfer them to windows. I have transferred the files, but there is no extension and windows can not open them

How do I do that, so windows can read all these files. I know there are some converters for other issues, but is there also one to transfer graphic files from mac to windows ?
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

What kind of graphic files are they? If the are JPG then you just need to add the extension .jpg to the end of the file name. Windows chooses what application to use based off the extension.
QUOTE Thanks
rossonero

Actually I don´t know what type it is. When saving these files, photoshop has just saved them without any extension, as this work on mac
I have tried to use .jpg .tiff etc on the pc, but this won´t work.
QUOTE Thanks
Seventh

Seventh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2

Are you sure they have no extension, or are file extensions for known file types turned off in Windows Folder Options?

Photoshop's default save format is usually a .PSD. If you have PS installed on Windows, try right clicking on it, picking Open With, and choosing Photoshop from the list (you might need to browse to it manually if it's not in the list).

If that doesn't do it and they really do have no extension, rename one of them to whatever.PSD and then double click it - if PS is installed it should automatically use it to open the file.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Do you have Photoshop on the PC? I bet they are PSD files. That is default for Photoshop.
QUOTE Thanks
rossonero

Yes - have the photoshop cs4 on my pc. But still it won´t recognise it.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Which version of PS are you running on your Mac?

You will probably need to export the entire library either way.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you try adding .psd at the end of one of the files on the Windows system?
QUOTE Thanks
rossonero

Even I try to upload it here as .psd file, it says it is not a valid psd format.

It is photoshop version 4 running on the mac
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Version 4? Wow that is quite old. It's been so long since I ever tried version 4 of PS I can't remember if the files are compatible or not. Although I thought PSD's were PSD's but could be wrong.

I have an old version of photoshop that came on 5 floppies for older Macs with OS7 or older. Not sure what the version was.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Yes, the files are probably too old to be read in CS4.

Photoshop 4.0 was from 1996, and 10.2 is utterly obsolete. You might as well be asking it to read an Appleworks floppy!

You're going to need to open -- every one of those 5,000 files on the old Mac and re-save them for PC compatibility (with extension and so forth). You should probably try to find someone with a more recent version of PS for the Mac, they may be able to do this as a batch job and save you a lot of time.

This job really should have been done a decade ago ... I'm not sure CS5 on the Mac could even open those files!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« [HELP] I just formated the the wrong external HD | Running Tiger/Leopard-only software in Snow Leopard? »