New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iMac won't boot from OS Install CD for disk repair

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Seventh

Seventh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2

Hi folks,

After having my iMac a few months, I enabled (and subsequently disabled) FileVault and things have never been the same. I verified my disk using DU, and it said that I need to boot from a CD and run a repair on the volume.

I'm trying to boot from the original install/restore CD that came with the iMac - I hold option at startup, select the CD, the apple logo changes to a halt sign, and then the machine boots up into my regular OS - not the CD.

Is there another way to repair the volume? What am I doing wrong, and how can I boot to the CD so that I can run a repair? I picked up a MBP recently as well and tried booting to the OS CD that came with that as well and get the same result - a halt sign and the iMac just boots to the hard drive.

Any insight would very much be appreciated. FV made my system all sorts of unstable, and I'm constantly getting Finder crashes and random App hangs.

Thanks much!
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

Hold down the C key when booting to boot from the install disk
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

I'll say it 1000 times - as will everyone else - FireVault is a vary bad idea for personal computers. It seems you learned this the hard way though...

l
I’ll keep it short and sweet — Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Pop in the original install disc, not the one that came with the MBP as it will NEVER boot. Reboot and immediately after the chimes hold down the 'C" key and not the Option key. Hopefully you will get the Installer page, go to Utilities and run Repair Disk. Hopefully that will fix your problem, if not you will be in for a reformat and clean install so trust you have everything backed up to an external drive?
QUOTE Thanks
Seventh

Seventh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmac11 View Post
I'll say it 1000 times - as will everyone else - FireVault is a vary bad idea for personal computers. It seems you learned this the hard way though...
Yep, definitely learned this the hard way. It didn't help that my iTunes library was in my Documents folder and was around ~250GB either, but we live and we learn. I used it on my MBP as well (both at the same time) and spent the next day unencrypting everything. Shame, because it seems like such a good idea if it wasn't so dodgy.

Thanks for the input all - turns out it was a matter of patience on my end. The ex-Windows guy in me was used to hitting the key once. Holding it down through the entire boot cycle did the trick, and after a repair my Finder/app woes have (so far) been non-existant.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Noobster

Mac Noobster is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm trying to run repair from DVD also and can't boot from DVD with "C".

Is it the same thing to hold "Option" while booting.. .. and select the OSX DVD from the grey screen there?

Will that bring my to Disk utility to Repair the disk?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Yes, hold down the OPTION key as soon as you hear the chime. If the disk is OK and your optical drive is working, you should see the disk as a boot selection. Once it boots to the disk, click on the top menu "Utilities" and from there select "Disk Utility".
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Noobster

Mac Noobster is on a distinguished road

Hmm it gives me the option. Clicked it. It gives me the pinwheel loading kind of thing.. but not the rainbow one.. you know. .. the circle bar one. lol. just checks the disk in the drive. over ten minutes.. How long should it take?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Ten minutes would be fine and trust you got a message in green indicating the drive is okay?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I repair disk by holding "Option" instead of "C" | disabled links »