New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help! An important folder has "disappeared"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tomn

tomn is on a distinguished road

Hello All,

I have an iMac running Snow Leopard. I have (had) a folder which contains pictures, Ai files, Flash files, etc.. It has disappeared. I have some of it backed up, but what isn't would be very important to recover if possible. If I search for the file it shows up, but can't be opened. The message:

The alias “everything click-stand” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.

pops up. I can search for and see every photo, but can't open them for the same reason. Is there anything I can do? If there is hope I can also pack it to an Apple store. I was working with Picasa before this happened if that helps.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

edit: Take it back if you have aliases for all them and that's all you're seeing.

Look in the trash..

Open up Picasa - are they there?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
tomn

Thanks, but when I click on "get info" in the General section there is no "where". When I find one of the pictures I can click on "Quick Look" and see the picture, and from there I can add it to iPhoto. It seems like the originals are somewhere.

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
tomn

Aha!!!!! Thank you I think I found it. It was in the trash. Why didn't it show up as being in the trash when I used"find"?

Thanks so much, I have learned my lesson. Back up, back up, back up.
Tom
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You can use the Put Back function from the Trash to put them back where they came from.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Login vs Admin vs Keychain password | Newb to Mac that needs help. »