New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Power Mac G5 two yrs. idle: Now what? No hotmail etc.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CAbroker

CAbroker is on a distinguished road

After 2 years I need my Mac! I tried to access Hotmail and got a blank screen. Yahoo says I do not have the right OS - what do I need to update to get back on this planet? Apple sites seem to work O.K.

Power Mac dual - purchased late 2005.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbroker View Post
After 2 years I need my Mac! I tried to access Hotmail and got a blank screen. Yahoo says I do not have the right OS - what do I need to update to get back on this planet? Apple sites seem to work O.K.
How about telling us what OS is currently installed on your Powermac G5? It may not be your OS version...but the version of the Safari browser you're using.

In any case...the newest/latest/maximum OS you can install is 10.5.8.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
CAbroker

Much appreciated - rank amateur here. I have the OS that was on it when I got it new, Safari I believe?!!?!? I will update as you suggest. I am hesitant so please bear with me as I get up to speed. Any advise, no matter how rudimentary is helpful.

I will even confess that I had to switch to my aging PC to join the forum. Gonna' switch back to my Mac and go with the Hail Mary play!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Safari is a Web Browser and not the OS. The newer versions of Safari will not install on older versions of OSX. Click on the Apple in the top left corner of the screen. Click on About This Mac. It will tell you there what version of OSX you have. Please report back.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

BTW are you trying to use the OS X Mail program to access Hotmail or through the Web interface? Here's a video for the setup procedure to use Mail YouTube - Mac Tutorial - How To Get Your Hotmail Account on Mail

There are also some videos explaining how to access Yahoo via Mail. I think these tricks depend upon the premium service though.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
CAbroker

I am now using Firefox browser & hotmail is working. I need my old password to update my Tiger 10.4 OS but can't get the password right. I am instructed to reset it with my OS install disc but am hesitant. Will I need to reinstall Final Cut Pro and all of my expensive software? Worried that I may lose something and not have the original install disc(s). Also, can't install flashplayer and much of my work requires sites that use it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newb to Mac that needs help. | Helllppp (osx on pc)???? »