New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

how to remove windows from mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drareg

drareg is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone

I just installed windows XP on my Macbook using «boot camp». However, my hard drive wasn't partitioned somehow. I couldn't quit the installation once it started. Now I have only Windows XP installed on my Macbook hard drive. No more Mac OS X because the disk was formatted. I can't reboot mac when the Mac OS X is inserted. How to remove Windows XP and install the Mac OS X back? Help somebody!

drareg
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

Using the original install CD, open disk utility. Then erase/re-partition the drive accordingly and install OS X on the desired partition. I hope you had your HD backed up somewhere...

l
I’ll keep it short and sweet — Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
drareg

drareg is on a distinguished road

Oh! When the original install CD is inserted, there is not response. the whole Mac hard drive has been reformatted with Window XP. When inserting the Windows XP CD, I see no way to uninstall it without reinstalling it again.

Drareg
QUOTE Thanks
BogBeast

BogBeast is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac C2D, 3.33Ghz, 8mb Ram; 24" iMac, 2.66Ghz, 4mb Ram; 14" iBook

If you put your original OS X Install DVD in the CD/DVD drive, restart holding down the 'C' key until you hear the Mac booting from the CD/DVD drive it should (hopefully) boot into OS X. At the first screen select your language and at the next screen go to the Utilities menu, select Disk Utility and reformat and partition the drive and then you should be able to proceed to a re-install of OS X.
As blackmac11 says, I hope you've got a back-up from before it all went pear-shaped as reformatting is obviously going to delete anything on the drive, if it hasn't been deleted already.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drareg View Post
Oh! When the original install CD is inserted, there is not response. the whole Mac hard drive has been reformatted with Window XP. When inserting the Windows XP CD, I see no way to uninstall it without reinstalling it again.

Drareg
If your whole hard drive was formatted with Windows XP (No Macintosh partition)...then I would say that you need to start all over.

1. Get out your Mac OS install disk
2. Format the Macintosh hard drive (for Macintosh use).
3. Install the Macintosh OS.

At this point you can start the Windows XP via bootcamp install.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« desktop crashes | What will come in Mac OSX 10.7 - Part 1 »