New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macdame

macdame is on a distinguished road

i recently purchased a used macbook 1,1. 60 gig hd and 1 gig ram. the battery is messed up so it only runs off of wall power, but it works great. i was updating leopard the other day and while it was rebooting my little cousin closed the lid. when i turn it on it says to either hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restar button b/c the computer needs restarted. i've held down the power button till i'm blue in the face and it still goes back to that screen. i'm a school teacher so i need to get it fixed asap. any help is MUCH appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Maybe the battery is dead...and you need a new one.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

It sounds like you are getting the gray restart screen. Is this correct? As you are aware now interrupting an update is not a good idea. If you have a backup of your hard drive then it's an easy process to reinstall Leopard and then restore from your backups. This is assuming that the hard drive or anything else wasn't damaged.

If you don't have a backup then you are going to have to run some tests to see what's wrong with your computer. Hopefully you still have your Leopard OS disc. Put it in and hold down C when starting up and open up Disk Utilities. Verify that hard drive is okay. If it needs repairing then do so and then run the test again. If it's not the hard drive then things will get more complicated and you might want to take it into an Apple store to get looked at.
QUOTE Thanks
macdame

i don't have the disc. i don't mind buying one if it fixes the problem. here's the thing though...i popped in a music cd the other day just to see if that would spur it on...now i cant get it out. any suggestions? thanks for the help btw:-)
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough

If you don't have the Leopard disc then it might be hard to get one at an affordable price since Apple is no longer officially making them. People have reported that if you call Apple they might provide one for a reasonable price.

As for the stuck disc, try rebooting the computer and then immediately hold down the trackpad until the disc ejects. Since you can't fully boot into your computer it may or may not work. It's worth a try at least.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Did the seller tell you that the Shift keys didn't work?
QUOTE Thanks
macdame

shift keys? no, didn't know anything about that. i wanted to upgrade to snow leopard anyways, could i get its disc and reboot?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Oh, so that's the problem! When you hold down the Shift key, any letter that you strike then becomes an upper case letter. Pretty nifty, eh?

You mentioned that you have Leopard, so you are eligible for the $29 Snow Leopard disc. There's no guarantee that this will solve the problem. Perhaps if you visit an Apple Store and tell them you want to buy the SL disc IF it will allow you to boot up your MacBook, maybe they'll go for that.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdame View Post
i wanted to upgrade to snow leopard anyways, could i get its disc and reboot?
Yes, you should be able to use the Snow Leopard disc to run Disk Utilities. Just don't reformat the hard drive if you want to save any lost data. You still didn't say if you have a backup of your data.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to find a rogue updater? | os X tiger wont boot after combination update 10.4.11 »