New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Word Count no longer works in Appleworks?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

samread

samread is on a distinguished road

I know Appleworks is no longer supported but, as it is still useable, why doesn't the word count operate? Should I be converting all my hundreds of Appleworks files to Pages? Do I have to do that manually for each file? Help appreciated. Harry
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

If you wait long enough, there will be no format that you can save your AW files to that is supported. No one knows when that will be, so you might as well get it over with. I did mine manually for each file. It wasn't quick, but I didn't miss any work, weddings, births, or other important events.
QUOTE Thanks
samread

Scary -- but thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

So far as I know, there should be nothing wrong with the AppleWorks word count at the present time. What happens when you try to open the word count dialog? What type of Mac and what version of the Mac OS are you using?
QUOTE Thanks
samread

I use both a 24" iMac and a Macbook with OS 10.6.3

When I try to open "Word count" I get a list of the various headings that it can count but no boxes or values.
QUOTE Thanks
Safirka

Safirka is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with AppleWorks 6 and my new MacBook, OS 10.6.6: when I click on Word Count I see a list--Characters, Lines--but no way to produce a count. Can anything be done?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Really think the only option is to update to iWork.

Particularly with Lion OS X.7 tipped to see the end of PowerPC application support.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari/Internet very slow...Help! | successfully upgraded from panther to tiger... »