New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

URGENT Quick Time problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PhilipQQ

PhilipQQ is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I have a problem with Quick Time 7 on the lastest MacBook with SnowLeopard 10.6.3.

By mistake I deleted QuickTime.app from my Applications folder and I have emptied the bin (not knowing that this app. is inside).
I want Quick Time back and I downloaded installation file from apple.com but when I want to install it it says that QuickTime is still present on my computer and the process cannot be completed. When I try running movies they open with Grapher.

I'm assuming there are still files installed somewhere that are related to QT.

I'm away from home and I dont have my SnowLeopard install.CD, how can I get my QuickTime back ?

Thanks for help !
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Apple - QuickTime
QUOTE Thanks
PhilipQQ

I have tried downloading this file but as I mentioned above it says that the program is still present on my disk :/
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

There are 2 Quicktime players in Snow Leopard… QuickTime Player, and QuickTime Player 7 (optional install for legacy purposes). Which one got deleted, and which one did you try to re-download?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipQQ View Post
I have tried downloading this file but as I mentioned above it says that the program is still present on my disk :/
My bad, that was pre coffee. I'm not sure how you are going to fix that to be honest.
QUOTE Thanks
PhilipQQ

I didnt know this. I deleted most probably Quick Time and tried to install Quick Time 7. However I searched if there's any other QT on my Mac but there was no result.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipQQ View Post
I didnt know this. I deleted most probably Quick Time and tried to install Quick Time 7. However I searched if there's any other QT on my Mac but there was no result.
QuickTime 7 was an optional install and is not really available for download for Snow Leopard, nor for that matter is QuickTime X (the newest version of the player that is for SL only). Unfortunately, you appear to be out of luck. You will have to get ahold of your install disc and extract it, or find a friend who has the same version of Snow Leopard that you have and copy it from them.

Barring that… you could use VLC or MPlayer OSX Extended in the meanwhile. Both are excellent alternatives to QT.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I was also going to suggest VLC, and also, perhaps when next posting a thread, leaving urgent out of the title, even if it is urgent, which in this case, there is no emergency!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't Update after Re-Install of OSX | Help accessing a file online »