New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Writing Code

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Antiquus

Antiquus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Mac OS X 10.6.3

Okay, so I am completely new to Mac's i have never used one before I got my macbook pro. In short i need help in figuring out how to write code for a mac and other general very basic programming skills, also I would like to keep any software expenses low; because i'm a student that also means i'm flat broke 24/7 so by cheap i mean free. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however thousands of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I would have a look at these websites from Apple:

Xcode - Developer Tools Technology Overview - Apple Developer
Download Xcode - Apple Developer

That is the thing you need to start making OS X apps. That is free to download and the hub of making Apps for OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

What language do you want to learn?
QUOTE Thanks
Antiquus

Antiquus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Mac OS X 10.6.3

Ideally i would like to learn as many as possible but to start which ever is considered to be the easiest. Like i said i am new to this stuff. also in order to download the free xcode software stuff it says i have to register with apple as a developer; however they require a company/organization. Should i make one up or what?

- No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however thousands of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.
QUOTE Thanks
DaFlake

DaFlake has a spectacular aura about

If you are looking to formally learn a language and want to learn good coding practices JAVA is a great place to start as there are a ton of resources out there. It is an object oriented programming language which can help you start to understand the process of it all.

People will argue with me but most colleges use it and I recommend it.

JAVA Ranch is also a great resource for learning.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Two OSX questions | Using the back up as the main source »