Can I safely delete files in Download folder?

I'm running out of space. If I delete files in my downloads folder will they still be somewhere on my computer if I haven't saved them in another location?

A lot of things have extensions like .pkg .ttf .sit .zip, these are mostly related to applications. Will it effect the app if I delete these?

(running Leopard.)

Crawley, England
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    As long as you've unstuffed the programs/files and put the contents where you want, then yes.
    It won't affect the installed apps.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11
    Installed them all? Then yes. Once upon a time used to burn all these downloads to a DVD-RW disc but with continual updates and broadband/cable speeds, no longer necessary or practical.

iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
    I used to burn them all to cd's or dvd's too, because Windows was likely to go down the stinker at any time. With the Mac, now once I have finished with whatever I downloaded, it goes in the trash since I don't think OS X is going to bottom out on me anytime soon. I do save some downloads to an external hard drive, but that is mainly 3D content that was hard to find, or tutorial videos.

Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
    If I delete files in my downloads folder will they still be somewhere on my computer if I haven't saved them in another location?
    Posts #2 and #3 are absolutely correct. But, taking just what you've written there, the answer is no.

Down Under :D
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    When not using automatic installing options, I always use the download location as the desktop, and install everything in the desired location from there.
    The only things that I ever get in the downloads folder are disk images, which I know that I can safely delete, as I know that it has been installed without having to recall or guess.

Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
    As so many items get routed to the downloads folder (email attachments, pdfs and .doc files from an internet browser, etc.), not just software updates, I find it's a good idea to clear it out pretty often, almost every day for me. That way I'm sure the content I want to keep is saved somewhere else on disc that makes sense in my file architecture.

I used to keep a "temp" folder in windows for this purpose, cause I loth a cluttered desktop.
    "The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." -William Faulkner

Thread Information