New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Is there an easy way to split screens on a Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fdcampbell16

fdcampbell16 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks

My boyfriend always plays these stupid internet games in which he needs to have two screens up at once. Is there a shorter way for him to do this without opening both internet windows and then manually sizing them to fit side by side?

- Currently using a MacBook Pro running OS X Mavericks
- syncs with iPhone 5S, iPod Touch, and iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdcampbell16 View Post
My boyfriend always plays these stupid internet games in which he needs to have two screens up at once. Is there a shorter way for him to do this without opening both internet windows and then manually sizing them to fit side by side?
I've found 2 apps that will facilitate this, both from the same developer.

Firstly there's SizeUp. This adds shortcuts you use to move individual windows to one half of the screen, a quarter of it (pinned to a corner), and more. I don't see a way for it to automatically tile all open windows, but this is still quicker and easier than re-sizing manually.

Next, they have Cinch. This does similar tiling like SizeUp, but you use the mouse to drag the window to a side/corner. In my experimenting, I flat out don't recommend it. It's very twitchy if you have Spaces in use, and I actually "lost" a window somehow (it was still in my list of open windows, but not visible) and Safari wouldn't quit.

EDIT: These guys used to have a freebie app called TwoUp that was more limited in usage, but would be fine for your needs. But they discontinued it in favor of their shareware SizeUp. But if you can find a place to get it from, so much the better.

And finally… there are some AppleScript solutions.
http://www.ithug.com/2008/12/applesc...tiple-windows/

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

Are you saying you don't recommend both of them or you don't recommend Cinch?

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdcampbell16 View Post
Are you saying you don't recommend both of them or you don't recommend Cinch?
I don't recommend Cinch. It seems too buggy just from my 3 minutes-worth of experimentation. SizeUp seems ok. You can always try it for a bit and ditch it if it causes you trouble.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

I found a couple more apps. First is called WindowFlow. It's a bit more advanced than SizeUp, and can serve as a replacement for the built-in CMD-TAB cycling of open apps. It took me a bit to figure out the keyboard commands for selecting and tiling windows, but overall it is more flexible.

You can also check out Breeze. It will save the current state of open windows of a given app and you can recall them from the menu or a keyboard command you create.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

I'm trying out Breeze and love it. But is there a way to edit or delete any screen state that I've created?

QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

Never mind. Figured it out.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Terminal on OS 9.1 | Swapping macs »