New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Finding Files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chancy

chancy is on a distinguished road

I am trying to find files on mac. It was really easy on the pc. I tried using file finder on mac 10.6. I go and select the directory I want to search and then I enter my criteria for the search and it doesn't look in the directory I provide. I don't know where it is looking. It is a little confusing.

Can someone help me file a file like abc.doc in a directory like mydocs on my mac ?
Any suggestions for software that make it easier to find files. I have tried a few and they weren't that great. I am missing my PC. I thought that Mac was supposed to be so user friendly.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

When you are in a Finder folder and you open the folder you want to search in which in this case looks like your Documents folder go to top right search area and type in the file you want which in this case is abc.doc.

As default your Mac will search your whole computer but if you want to just search in that folder there is a gray bar were it says Search:. You want to click on the "Documents" selection. You will see the "This Mac" circled in dark gray meaning that it's searching your whole computer. Click on the "Documents" selection or whatever the folder you want to search in is called. It will now filter your search in that folder only.
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

Its actually wayyy easier on a mac. Your mistake was trying to find software to find your files. You already have the best software, called FINDER (why do you think it's named so??). Adding to the post above, you can hit the little magnifying glass in the very top right of the screen. This is called spotlight. Type abc.doc and you have your file. Simple.

l
Iíll keep it short and sweet ó Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

troll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancy View Post
I am trying to find files on mac. It was really easy on the pc. I tried using file finder on mac 10.6.
Is that something new to SL or just bad terminology. (I'm still holding out.)
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

It's software you can download to 'help' you find files. But it's completely useless.

l
Iíll keep it short and sweet ó Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

FWIW - for file finding I much prefer the Cmd-F function from desktop, or almost anywhere actually. Yes, it's using the Finder (the F word ), and it does a more thorough job than Spotlight.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

fdcampbell16 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks

When you open the Finder window, there should be a sidebar that highlights the main things you want to regularly access like Documents, Pictures, Music, Movies, etc. If you know where you saved stuff, you should have no trouble finding it.

Also, you can scroll to the top right corner of the screen and click on the magnifying glass image which is Spotlight and type in what you are looking for. When you scroll down to it and hold your mouse over it, it will show you the file directory in which it is saved. You can just click on it to open it.

Finder is really a great app that will help you find anything you're looking for. You can even access it without a mouse my pressing Command + Tab until the Finder icon pops up, and then you can press Command + N to pull up a new Finder window.

Hope this helps.

- Currently using a MacBook Pro running OS X Mavericks
- syncs with iPhone 5S, iPod Touch, and iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« scanner that works in PS w/o rosetta 10.6.3 | Mail wont open, keep importing e mail forever... »