New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Finder Behavior

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zoz

zoz is on a distinguished road

Deleting (Cmd-Backspace) a file in finder shifts the focus to the enclosing folder. Is there any way (plugins, alternate file browser?) to make it focus on an adjacent file instead? (while having quicklook open). That would be an easy way to quickly browse through files and delete the ones you don't need.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Welcome to Mac Forums
If you use it in cover flow , the cmd-backspace doesn't revert back to the enclosing folder
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoz View Post
Deleting (Cmd-Backspace) a file in finder shifts the focus to the enclosing folder. Is there any way (plugins, alternate file browser?) to make it focus on an adjacent file instead? (while having quicklook open). That would be an easy way to quickly browse through files and delete the ones you don't need.
I just tested out that behavior in coverflow view mode, and using CMD-DELETE to move a file to the trash does not move the focus to the enclosing folder for me… it focuses on the next file. I'm not entirely certain as to why you are having a different experience. The command to shift focus to an enclosing folder is CMD-Up Arrow. Have you remapped any key functions, or such?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Aw. Use the mouse.
QUOTE Thanks
zoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Welcome to Mac Forums
If you use it in cover flow , the cmd-backspace doesn't revert back to the enclosing folder
What do you mean? It doesn't revert to the enclosing folder because there is no enclosing folder like in the column view. But if just takes the focus away, instead of focusing on adjacent files.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoz View Post
What do you mean? It doesn't revert to the enclosing folder because there is no enclosing folder like in the column view. But if just takes the focus away, instead of focusing on adjacent files.
You want to delete files from a folder without it reverting back to the enclosing folder every time you delete a file...... well, that's how you do it!

What is it that you want to do? Is it that you want to select more than one file that aren't grouped for deletion? ....if so, hold command while you click on each file that you want to select, and then use your command backspace.

If we are missing what it is that you want do here, I think you're going to have to explain it again.
QUOTE Thanks
zoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
You want to delete files from a folder without it reverting back to the enclosing folder every time you delete a file...... well, that's how you do it!

What is it that you want to do? Is it that you want to select more than one file that aren't grouped for deletion? ....if so, hold command while you click on each file that you want to select, and then use your command backspace.

If we are missing what it is that you want do here, I think you're going to have to explain it again.
Sorry I wasn't being clear. What I really want is that, after I select a file and cmd-backspace to delete, the focus moves to the next file instead of disappearing (like in cover flow mode) or moving to the enclosing folder ( in column mode ) such that when 1)I press cmd-delete again, the next file in the sequence (whichever order the files are currently arranged by) will be deleted 2)I can press up and down arrows to navigate to files adjacent to the one I just deleted 3) If I had quicklook on while I cmd-backspaced the file, the next file comes into focus and quicklook switches to a preview of that file.

The reason I need to do the above (especially #3) instead of just group selecting files to delete is that I want to take a look of each file before I decide deleting or not (such as when going through a list of wallpapers and deleting undesirable ones). Cover flow does provide the preview I need, but it's not as big as quicklook's preview, and I have to manually find position of the list I was on right after I delete a file in order to continue the process. I could use something like Xee for this instead, but quicklook would be better as it handles all file types.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You can do exactly what you want in coverflow view.

You have the option to use Quicklook in Coverflow the same as list or column view.
you can use the arrow keys to move from file to file and stay in quicklook.
You can delete a file while it is open in quicklook and the next file or folder in the list will auto open in quicklook.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

In cover flow mode it does move to the next file in sequence, so I see this as the solution.
I understand that in quicklook, it reverts back, and makes it a problem if wanting to select multiple items to delete, so, if you put the finder to full screen when you are doing this, and drag down the viewer, you get a pretty good glimpse at what the files are.

I am using a 13" MB, and even with this screen, I have a clear enough view of what it is.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post

You have the option to use Quicklook in Coverflow the same as list or column view.
You can delete a file while it is open in quicklook and the next file or folder in the list will auto open in quicklook.
When I try what you've suggested, it reverts back to the containing folder, unless I have quicklook open, but use finder in coverflow mode to delete the items.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I've been a bit baffled by the replies in this thread. I finally realized in my first reply, I thought the OP was using coverflow rather than quicklook. I think I got thrown off by 6string's screencap and how his reply got broken up by the screencap. Ooops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post

I just experimented with this. The first time I tried this, the focus reverted to the enclosing folder. The second time and onwards… it focused on the next file, unless it was the last file. I can't figure out why it didn't work this way the first time, but it has been consistent since.

Zaz… if you are using this with pictures, then it may be simpler to use a graphics viewer called Xee. Opening one file will queue all files in that folder for viewing; you can still use CMD-DELETE to delete the file you are viewing and the focus will shift to the next file.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I have been using this method for a long time for manually cleaning. I have a lot of in and out junk on mine. A mixture of pdf owners manuals, pics and all sorts of stuff. Seems I'm always experimenting with something.

If not working, I'm not sure why. Would probably just try a reboot or moving the Finder plist file to the desktop and try again.

QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
The first time I tried this, the focus reverted to the enclosing folder. The second time and onwards… it focused on the next file, unless it was the last file. I can't figure out why it didn't work this way the first time, but it has been consistent since.
Now I'm a bit baffled!
When you say, "the first time I tried this, the focus reverted to the enclosing folder. The second time and onwards… it focused on the next file, unless it was the last file", was this using Quick Look?
I tried numerous times with Quick Look, and it kept reverting back to the enclosing folder!
Even tried it again after reading this post.
Have I misread this?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

A little experimenting just now. Found if I scroll through Coverflow and use the Quicklook shortcut from Coverflow without clicking on an item in the list, it does go back to the enclosing folder.

If you click an item in the list, then use Quicklook, it goes to the next item.

A little strange, but I was able to duplicate both scenarios.

QUOTE Thanks
6string

Just to add to that, after posting and seeing bobtomay's post, I just removed the plist, logged out and back in, and still no change. ARGH
I hope I missing something, as this is really frustrating now (and this wasn't an issue before, until this thread, but now I need to know).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« why can't OS 10.5 drivers work in 10.6 | Can I safely delete files in Download folder? »