Thread: tiger to leopard
04-14-2010, 11:52 PM #1tiger to leopard
i have a Mac book pro OS x 10.4.11 with:
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
i wanted to upgrade to leopard so i can DL a few games and to be able to run better programs. how would i go about doing this and will all my other programs/ games still work?
04-15-2010, 12:36 AM #2
- Member Since
- Jan 27, 2007
- 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
1. First step forget leopard 10.5. Too expensive to get a hold of.
There is an even better option. Go to the Apple store or any shop and purchase 10.6. Snow Leopard. That will run on your machine and will work just like a dream. I would recommend this for you.
2. Next you make a backup of your hard drive. Not necessary but if you want to for piece of mind go ahead.
3. Lastly you restart your Mac with the Snow Leopard disc in and hold down the C key for a bit. And you should boot of the disc. And just follow the onscreen instructions. And it will walk you through the install. And give it say an hour or so and it'll install it for you.
Just remember to make sure your somputer screen or HD does not go to sleep during the process. The OS upgrade will stop when that happens. Well it did for me. So keep the screen on the whoke time during the instal of 10.6 and you'll be ok.
4. Yes all of your applications will work in 10.6 still. Even the new ones you want to use that want 10.5 All will work in 10.6 So you have no need to worry.
5. Time Machine
Apple - Mac OS X - What is Mac OS X - Time Machine
That is in 10.5 (and 10.6) and is a very nice way to back up your software.
This is a nice maintanance Application for OS X. Make sure you get the right version of Onyx for the OS you have just installed. 10.5 or 10.6 whichever one you went with. And read the documentation that comes with the Application well.
APart from that there is not much to it. Just install away and enjoy your Mac with the latest and best system Snow Leopard .
04-15-2010, 01:54 PM #3
04-15-2010, 02:05 PM #4
do i have to upgrade to leopard first? or do i have to get the box set for 126$? will just jumping from OS x 10.4.11 to OS x 10.6 be ok for my computer?
04-15-2010, 02:11 PM #5
04-15-2010, 03:04 PM #6
so i would have to get SL for 169$? i dont care about the iwork or ilife part. i just need SL so i can run my programs. so i cant just get the 30$ SL?
04-16-2010, 08:05 AM #7
As I said, the $29 SL disc is for people with a Leopard license. Anyone installing from that SL disc will probably have to click "I Agree" or something to a statement that indicates ownership of 10.5
Anyone who installs SL from the $29 disc without that Leopard license is in violation of the EULA. ...end user licensing agreement
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By person197 in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 11Last Post: 08-21-2011, 07:19 PM
By wilkesep3 in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 5Last Post: 01-09-2011, 03:42 PM
By solarsloth122 in forum Switcher HangoutReplies: 6Last Post: 01-02-2011, 05:15 PM
By dangerwood in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 9Last Post: 04-28-2010, 06:44 AM
By k01f15h in forum OS X - Operating SystemReplies: 1Last Post: 08-20-2009, 06:52 AM