New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4.10 Install from Bundled Disk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dcheek

dcheek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, 20", 2 GB Ram, 233 GB HD, Running 10.4.11

Great news. Went to the local Apple store and the loaded the operating software of my choice, and did all the updates for NO CHARGE!!!!!!!! Took about 1 1/2 hours. Machine works perfectly now and my faith in the Apple company has been sealed forever. The only thing left to do is call Applecare and order restore disks that will work for this computer in the future.

Try to do this with a PC and it would cost you a fortune.

Dave
Mac user since 1986
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheek View Post
Great news. Went to the local Apple store and the loaded the operating software of my choice, and did all the updates for NO CHARGE!!!!!!!! Took about 1 1/2 hours. Machine works perfectly now and my faith in the Apple company has been sealed forever.
WOW...I haven't heard of that before! Apple has really good customer service.

- What OS did you install?
- What exactly happened at the Apple Store?
- What was the conversation like with whomever helped you?

Seems like this would be an interesting story...I for one have not heard of someone being able to do this.

Thanks a bunch,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dcheek

Nick,
I installed Tiger 10.4.11 with all the current updates.
We (my prepress guy and I) made an appointment for 10:00 AM at the Short Hills, NJ Apple store. We arrived at 9:45 and the store was already open. An associate confirmed who we were and our appointment time and asked us to wait at the counter. At 10:00 a "Genius" asked if he could help. I told him I bought this computer with no operating system so he said, "No Problem, what version do you want to install?" I said I would like Tiger 10.4.11. Again he said "No problem". He proceeded to attach a drive that has every System version and selected 10.4.11. After installation he asked, "Do you want me to do all the updates?" Of course I said yes. He advised us that this might take some time but, I thought this would go much faster with their internet connection as opposed to my meager DSL. We were out of the store by 11:30 and back to work by 12:00 noon.

The overall experience was, dare I say, fun. And I had an hour and a half to play with all the new Apple products. One thing I might advise anyone with a similar situation is to go during the week, first thing in the morning. You get to chose the expert you want and there is less disruption. In fact, when things started to get busy, our "Genius" asked if he could move to another customer while our machine was loading . This was no big deal since you have to wait for everything to load anyway.

So, for those who purchased a used computer with no operating system, or have lost or destroyed their restore disks, the Apple Store has the solution. I can't believe how easy (and cheap) it was to do!

Dave
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Congrats Dave...that's pretty cool!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheek View Post
The reason I want the older Tiger version of the software was so I could use my Creative Suite 3 software, unless it will run on Snow Leopard??
Creative Suite 3 runs fine on Snow Leopard (I use it every day). It will obviously have to be re-installed from your original discs, but it works fine.

At $30 retail, Snow Leopard is your best option. You should strongly consider the Mac Box Set (which includes iLife 09 and iWork 09) in order to get everything (and more) that the Mac should have come with.
QUOTE Thanks
dcheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Creative Suite 3 runs fine on Snow Leopard (I use it every day). It will obviously have to be re-installed from your original discs, but it works fine.

At $30 retail, Snow Leopard is your best option. You should strongly consider the Mac Box Set (which includes iLife 09 and iWork 09) in order to get everything (and more) that the Mac should have come with.
Thanks for the info. I will tell my prepress guy.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« pop ups | OSX 10.6 connectivity via Firefox - Help Needed!! »