New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How Can I Fix This?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Navis

Navis is on a distinguished road

I just updated from OSx 10.4 to 10.6. I'm hating 10.6 more than anything right now. It does weird things and I'm hoping someone here can help me. They're not big problems but they're annoying to deal with and I never had these problems in 10.4.

1) Every time I reboot/shutdown my computer and I click on any folder or my external, all the files are scattered in that folder. None of them stay organized. I like to arrange by kind and have to do this every time I open a folder after a reboot or start up.

2) When I want to attach a file via Gmail, it won't go to the previous folder I just opened a file from. Generally when I'm attaching files, I'm attaching more than one from the same folder. THIS IS SUPER ANNOYING. Especially when I have to scroll a ways to find the folder over and over and over. 10.4 would always open up to the previous folder I attached a file from.

I tried to find some help regarding this but I can't find any. Again, not huge problems but they really disrupt the work flow. If anyone knows a quick fix around this that would be awesome.

Thanks!
Tim
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navis View Post
THIS IS SUPER ANNOYING.
As are thread titles that are too generic. Please identify the subject in your title. If you have two unrelated items, create a thread for each one and tell us what each is about in your titles. Please, please, please!

1) Scattered how? Is there a pattern, or does it seem to be random?
What is checked/selected in Show View Options?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navis View Post
1) Every time I reboot/shutdown my computer and I click on any folder or my external, all the files are scattered in that folder. None of them stay organized. I like to arrange by kind and have to do this every time I open a folder after a reboot or start up.

Thanks!
Tim
When you are in a folder you want to arrange...go to the "View" drop down menu...then choose "Show View Options"...then adjust the options as you wish.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Navis

Navis is on a distinguished road

It's random. One file will be a few scrolls down, another will be a scroll or two to the side. They're all over the place. It's only when I reboot/restart. Doing the show view options works as long as I don't restart. It's just weird that it's doing this. It won't save my preferences. I'd prefer NOT to have to do this every time I reboot and open up any new folder/device.

Upgrade my eye!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

Try replacing your com.apple.finder.plist file

Find it in ~/Library/Preferences
Move it to the Desktop
Restart

Hope that works, and maybe someone will weigh in on your other question...
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

Open Finder... goto preferences and set the view options... they are global and will update everything as you wish. Try it...

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Sorry, but post #6 is not accurate. You cannot set view options from Preferences. <--That is a specific menu item: Finder > Preferences ...so maybe it's just a terminology mistake.

View Options are set in Show View Options, in the View Menu, or command-J. And, they are not necessarily global. If you click Use as Defaults after you get it set the way you want, then those settings become global. Otherwise, only enclosed folders will conform to those choices.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keeping 2 Macs Synced | Downloads Window »