New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Finder....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SVHarmony

SVHarmony is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm back with another question.
I did buy a book to help me understand my new iMac, but, I am still confused about 'Finder'. I really do not understand it. Do I put 'stuff' in Finder, or does it go there automatically?
QUOTE Thanks
sau124

sau124 is on a distinguished road

Finder is identical to Explorer (slightly better). Stuff you download go in the download folder and installs go to Application folder. Are you looking for something specific?

Quote:
up there with the bEst of the bEst....
QUOTE Thanks
SVHarmony

No, wasn't looking for a thing, just curious how I would use 'Finder'. Ohhh, so much to learn.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmony View Post
No, wasn't looking for a thing, just curious how I would use 'Finder'. Ohhh, so much to learn.
I hate to sound rude, but if you are this confused with Finder, then you really need to go get a beginner's guide on how to use OS X. Learning the basics will go a long way to increasing your satisfaction with your computer experience.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
SVHarmony

I am not offended, I agree with you. I just need to settle down with my book and start fresh. I appreciate the help I receive here.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Have you looked at Switch 101 and Mac 101 on apple.com? Very helpful to persons new to Macs.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
SVHarmony

Thank you ... I'll look there before I ask those dumb questions. *sigh. Also, I have a neighbor who is a Mac person. I should have looked at a number of places before I post hunting for answers to my beginner questions.

Thank you for your replies, I really do appreciate your help.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Finder is an application which allows you to use your computer to view windows, and other applications. It translates binary information into graphics and text that you can understand. I think.
QUOTE Thanks
T_O_P12

T_O_P12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S

It is sorta like your My Computer folder and your C:/ Drive all in one and on steriods because anything on your computer can be gotten too or "found" using finder. At least thats how I see it and I just switched also
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmony View Post
Thank you ... I'll look there before I ask those dumb questions. *sigh. Also, I have a neighbor who is a Mac person. I should have looked at a number of places before I post hunting for answers to my beginner questions.

Thank you for your replies, I really do appreciate your help.
There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. Don't be afraid to ask questions… just be aware that a little self-education will go a long ways to helping you understand the answers.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
SVHarmony

Thank you, I think I'm beginning to understand ...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Very Weird Problem | Weird activity monitor... »