New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Uninstall and Reinstall Java

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iMacUC

iMacUC is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I am currently using Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_17-b04-248-10M3025). I am trying to install this version and then reinstall a previous version such as build 1.6.0_15. How can I go about doing so? My OS is 10.6.3.

Any help is much appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

There is no easy way to do so, except to revert to a previous version of OS X. Java updates are installed with OS X security updates. Can you explain why you would want to revert to a previous update?
QUOTE Thanks
iMacUC

iMacUC is on a distinguished road

I need to revert to a previous version of Java due to the incompatibility of a website with any Java releases after Update 16.I have tried Firefox, Google Chrome, and obviously Safari is not working either. These browsers are giving me the same results.

I currently attend school at a university that uses Blackboard for online instruction. I am not able to access a certain "File Manager" component of Blackboard which uses Java to attach files. I do not wish to uninstall the OS and install a previous version. I understand it isn't easy to uninstall Java and reinstall it. I'm up for the challenge if anyone has the knowledge of how to do this without uninstalling OSX.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

To my knowledge, and from some additonal reading to be sure, there's really no safe way to do this short of reinstalling the OS. It's too deeply integrated. You can review this article to see if it may help, but it just sounds like a really really bad idea.

EDIT: DOH! Didn't see you beat me already, tech. Had this half-typed and got called away for a short bit.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacUC View Post
I need to revert to a previous version of Java due to the incompatibility of a website with any Java releases after Update 16.I have tried Firefox, Google Chrome, and obviously Safari is not working either. These browsers are giving me the same results.

I currently attend school at a university that uses Blackboard for online instruction. I am not able to access a certain "File Manager" component of Blackboard which uses Java to attach files. I do not wish to uninstall the OS and install a previous version. I understand it isn't easy to uninstall Java and reinstall it. I'm up for the challenge if anyone has the knowledge of how to do this without uninstalling OSX.
If you have such limited need, then perhaps you should just partition the drive and install OS X again to the other partition, but don't apply the latest update. Then just boot into that as needed. It's generally a good idea to keep a bootable copy that is known to be "good" as a fail-safe measure... just in case.

EDIT: If you do so, I suggest excluding that partition from Spotlight, or at least the apps. Otherwise, you get duplicate hits if you use Spotlight to launch apps, and you can't simply disable Spotlight on one copy of the OS and not the other.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Change location settings | No border around thumbnail.... »