New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can't Update after Re-Install of OSX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tenth Floor

Tenth Floor is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel Macbook Pro 17" - C2D 2.5 ghz - 4gb ram

I recently had a Font Issue, that I resolved and reset permissions using "pacifist" When I restarted my computer would only get as far as the "space-star" screen and no log in. I booted with the SL OS disk and re-installed Snow Leopard. Everything seems to run fine now, but I can't update to 10.6.3. I am stuck in 10.6 in system info, yet when I check for installed updates, it show everything up to 10.6.3. I can get to the update install package, but when I hit install it goes blue and then back to gray every time. Any clues?

Thanks for the help in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Welcome to Mac Forums.
Download and install OnyX and run the automation tab to repair disk permissions, clean out your caches, etc. and then try to download and install this
Let us know how that goes for you.
QUOTE Thanks
Tenth Floor

Thanks for the tip... I working through it now. Keep ya posted!
QUOTE Thanks
Tenth Floor

I used Onyx to clean everything out then do the software update, says I need to install 10.6.3 v1.1 but won't instal, tried to install starting at 10.6.1 and still nothing. Is there a way to clean out system volume or boot up in Snow Leopard to repair installation or start over. Maybe remove previous updates?

*I'm attaching screen shots of what I'm talking about
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-04-12 at 10.25.22 PM.png (206.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-04-12 at 10.27.02 PM.png (255.2 KB, 5 views)
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Do you have a time machine backup from before it all went pair shaped?
That could be the best solution.

Otherwise, if it were me, I would actually save myself form all the troubleshooting, and boot from SL disc, zero out the HD, and then install SL again.
Then I would go straight to the combo updater that I linked above, and then....... assuming everything is back to running normal, use migration assistant to transfer docs, movies, music, pics, but not the user settings and preferences.
and then reinstall 3rd party apps direct from vendors, and from install discs.
QUOTE Thanks
Tenth Floor

I was hoping there might have been an easier solutions to wiping and installing. I am a graphic designer and have all my adobe software on, prefs set in pallets and tons of other color matching software for print.... Might be the only option though. I think I might try The Genius Bar at Mac. Appreciate the help, anybody else feel free to let me know some ideas. Much Appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Don't know if this would help, but you could try moving com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist (one is found in user/library/preferences and the other is in HD/library/preferences) to the desktop and rebooting and try again.
If that works, just delete the .plists, if not, just move them back to replace the new ones that were created.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Do you have a time machine backup from before it all went pair shaped?
I don't mean to be the phrase police, but the term is "pear-shaped" as in the funky shape of a pear. Just FYI for future reference.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I don't mean to be the phrase police, but the term is "pear-shaped" as in the funky shape of a pear. Just FYI for future reference.
Well caught Officer Chas
Yes, I meant pear shaped!

A pear is a funky shaped fruit
A pair is a couple
A couple is 2, and 3 is a few.
Phew.....
QUOTE Thanks
Tenth Floor

Stil no work... hmmmmmm Anybody else have an idea? It's probably so ridiculously easy, that none of us are even thinking about it... for that matter we're over thinking it....
QUOTE Thanks
Tenth Floor

After getting into single user mode and fixing errors over and over, I then restarted in boot (safe) mode and deleted receipts. Finally it allowed me to install the updates... I'm up and Running X.6.3 v1.1 Thanks All!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing Install disks OS X | URGENT Quick Time problem »