New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Guest Account can see my files, but why

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Boxito

Boxito is on a distinguished road

hi im using os 10.6.3 and today i need to give my mac to a friend and activate the guest account but i check the finder and see that i can find my doc, pic, videos and everything in the mac.
the thing is why have a guest account is they can have all access to the hard drive is there is a way i can control what the can see or limit the access to the files

i remember in win xp the guest account dont have access to another user data is strange in mac the can

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

It's all in the permissions. If you have access for "Everyone" set to Read-only (or Read/Write), then yes… "Everyone" means exactly that (well, except for yourself). You can correct this by setting the permissions to "No Access" for Everyone.

If you want users on your computer other than the Guest to see these folders, then set permissions for Everyone to "No Access", then set those folders up as shared folders and turn off the option for the Guest account to access shared folders.

EDIT: An alternative to setting up folders as "shared" for viewing by users other than Guest would be to add specific users to the list of permissions and giving them access.

Also... to modify permissions, right-click on a folder (or file) and hit "Get Info". At the bottom, you can adjust the permissions. There's an additional option in the drop-down box to propagate those permissions to everything contained in that folder. I forget the exact wording... I'm not on a Mac at the moment.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Boybland

Boybland is on a distinguished road

Guest account shouldn't normally be able to see another users files.
Another possible solution might be to create a brand new account for your friend (without admin rights).
However if the problem is with your home folder itself this will not solve the problem.
Did you migrate the home folder from another computer or something as this depending on how its done leave the permissions a bit funny.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Any account will be able to see other account data, unless you do as suggested and change the everyone permissions. One thing the guest guest account buy you is that when the user logs out. All of the data that was created is removed.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« backup drive | How to free up specific Port(s) »